Epilogue-Felix

I watch from the trees as Amara kills the Vampire King, staring at his body like a woman possessed. The feathers of the blue jay I shifted into ruffle in anger as I watch the Demon King, the man responsible for the destruction of my life, approach her and put an arm around her lovingly.

I resist the urge to squawk in anger, remembering the loving arms of my own mother. The mother fled the underworld with her twin boys in tow because she was forced to work in the brothels, constantly being denied the position of a castle servant by the King.

That was all we incubi and succubi were suitable for sex and slave work, in his eyes. So, my poor mother, unable to bear having her body used to keep me and Axel fed and safe, fled to Earth. Only we were worse for wear there, unable to blend in when we were amongst humans, and no hope of a werewolf pack or Fae court taking us in. So, we build a house in rogue lands, somewhere no sane supernatural being ever ventured to, and no human ever came out alive. Although we were low-ranking amongst demons, we were still more than able to handle rogue wolves that came our way.

And they did. Every single night, our house was under attack. They smelled the food we kept on par, and when we would cook, our scents were potent there, letting the rogues know that we were there to stay.

For years, I bathed in their blood. Both Axel and I defended the house while Mother cooked our meals, and we both became skilled in combat, enough so that Axel suggested we try to prove our worth and become a soldier for King Armaros. He and I would get paid in the army, and mother wouldn't have to work. It was the least we could do.

We plan to return to the underworld and prove ourselves to the King, but that night was when the rogues who still had some sanity and cunning in them attacked. They broke into our house silently, locking both mine and Axel's doors while we slept, and had their sights set on Mother.

It was already too late by the time her screams reached us, and them locking us in our rooms only held us up for a second before we smashed the doors to ash with our magic. But the second it cost us was all they needed to rip her throat out.

Of course, they turned on us next, and we obliterated them, keeping the one with our mother's blood-stained on his maw and torturing him for weeks in revenge for what he took from us. But it wasn't enough; it would never be enough. So we made a plan to get back at the King. He was the reason we were here in the first place.

Fate was on our side; his wife had just given birth to an evil little thing that she handed off to a werewolf couple to save her from the angels, and then his precious little wife died shortly after. She didn't even know we were there; she didn't know we watched her fall slave to the vampires; she didn't know we knew everything about her precious child. She did an absolutely flawless job at hiding from the prying eyes of the angels, but she did nothing about the monsters who lurked in the shadows.

Axel and I watched the King grieve, watched the broken man lose any semblance of himself from the loss of his mate. It was pathetic, really; with no wife and no baby to dedicate himself to, he was a quarter of the all-powerful King he once was in the months following her demise. If we had approached him then to avenge our mother's death, I think he would have opened his arms up and bared his neck to us, hoping for the sweet relief of death.

So, I came up with a brilliant plan. I would hit him where it hurts, his kids. The only thing he had left. I didn't know how I would get to the heir or the extra, seeing as they were under strict protection in the castle, but I could get to that spawn the angel bitch got rid of.

So I did. While it seemed the cold war between the angels and demons was about to heat right the fuck up, the fools believed that the child died along with the mother, so they relented. We could remedy that, but even if we weren't so arrogant to believe we could fool with the angels, that would have to be very carefully thought out.