Chapter 28-Amara

The following morning, I wake up with a raging headache and groan. I can see it's dark outside, meaning I slept all day, which I kind of expected. We hadn't finished until about nine in the morning, after which Roman was in a mood and went to lead training. I understood but still had trouble falling asleep without him, mainly because I couldn't turn my mind off.

Felix finally broke around eight. He told us he was working with the vampires who wanted my blood to fuel their black magic spells, that they would use me as a blood bag and use me to become more powerful. As for why me specifically, we got nowhere. He only admitted to knowing that I was a powerful hybrid, which I knew was a goddessdamn lie, or at least a half-truth.

On top of that, his reward for getting me to the vampires in one piece once whatever magic I have manifested, he would get to keep me. He said this was a favor to both him and me, that I should be grateful I wouldn't be forced to live in a cage like the other blood bags.

Yeah, Roman didn't let him live after that. Part of me wondered if I was a sociopath because I felt absolutely nothing as I watched his torture and death. When I looked at him, I felt no sense of familiarity. Stupid, so stupid I was to fall for his act. I let him die, knowing we only had half-truths as information, and I had more questions now than before he showed up again.

'Amara, you need to read that letter from Mom. It might tell us something,' Tamisra tells me, and that same gut-wrenching feeling settles in my stomach.

'I know. I'm scared of what it will say.' I admit

'I know you are, but you got me, and we have Roman and Seth and the girls. We're not alone anymore; whatever it says, we'll get through it together. We need to get ahead of the situation while we still can. As of right now, the vampires think you're still clueless. Roman will come up with a plan.' Tamisra tries to soothe me.

I take a deep breath and roll out of bed. I know she's right. I dry off and throw on one of Roman's shirts along with my own pajama pants. Goddess, please don't break my heart too badly with this letter.

I walk over to my old room and grab out my box with my parents' things. I smile at my dad's flannel and hold it to my chest. Picking up the letter, I take a deep breath and rip the envelope open.

My baby, Amara

I'm writing you this letter because there's evidence of vampires tracking the territory. In the event, something happens to Dad or me, I need to make sure you know the information about your birth.

You were our daughter the moment we laid eyes on you; please never doubt how much your father and I loved you. After I had Seth, there was a rogue attack, I was still not healed from his birth, but I was too far away from the bunkers when the attack hit. I, of course, survived the attack, but a wound to my abdomen caused me to be infertile, as Ciara was still too weak to heal me properly.

I was content for a long time just raising Seth, although I always yearned for another child. I thought I had accepted that I couldn't have anymore, but after a year, I started having dreams of a little girl with eyes so green the forests of the Moon Goddess realm seemed dull. A little girl who would sneak into my room at night asking for hot chocolate because she had a bad dream, a girl who would sit down with me every night and tell me her boyfriend drama while I braided her hair.

I had dreams of you before you were even born. You were always meant to be my baby. Every day I cried for you, thinking the Goddess was showing me what could have been, but she was actually showing me what was to come.

Your birth mother was an angel, and your birth father a demon. I was near a river I often visited when I heard your mother's sobs. She was clutching you, and when we locked eyes with me, she handed you to me and grabbed my hand, showing me everything that had happened through her touch.

Your father was a demon, and despite their races, they were madly in love. Your father is the King of the Underworld. An angel's highest rank is a guard of the Gods and Goddesses themselves; your mother was the daughter of Jeremiel, one of those guards.

When your mother fell pregnant with you and told her father, he was enraged and determined to prevent your birth. Your mother wouldn't allow this, so your father took her to the underworld to protect her, defying the realms' fundamental laws until they could devise a plan. Deciding to hide you on Earth, your father summoned a Demon Lord from the Demi-God realm to give you the ability to survive on Earth without being discovered. She gifted you the genes of a werewolf, the most powerful supernatural of Earth, so if you were ever discovered, you would be looked over.

Eventually, your mother was too weakened. Her body rejected the underworld, and she fell ill. This gave those citizens of the underworld who were disgusted with her the opening to discard her behind the King's back. She was dumped onto Earth and abducted by vampires who spoke of the Tribrid. The Tribrid would be the most powerful being to ever cross any of the realms as she had the genes of powerful beings from each.

You are the Tribrid, and should they have access to your blood, they could wield magic strong enough to take over Earth. Your mother managed to escape before they could get ahold of you but died days after your birth.

Very little is known about your powers. But, when she gave birth to you, your father could find her by following the wave of power your entrance into the world created. He placed a barrier on your aura and powers when he found you. Whenever you are of age to wield your powers, the barrier spell would break, alerting both your parents that you could return home.

Please know I only withheld this information from you to protect you and was waiting until you were ready before I told you. I was meant to be your mother, as your dad was meant to be your father. You are our greatest treasure, along with Seth. You completed our family, and I wouldn't change a thing about our story.

Love always,

Mom

I couldn't comprehend what I had just read; my hands shook as I repeatedly reread 'your birth Mother.' My mom wasn't my mother. My father wasn't my father. They died protecting me, as did the woman who gave birth to me. They would be alive if it weren't for me. I felt every piece of my soul shatter. Any joy or happiness I had ever experienced paled compared to the agony that took over my body. I was the reason they were dead.

I let out a feral growl so loud I felt the packhouse quiver; in an instant, I ran straight through the glass doors leading to my balcony and jumped off, shifting midair. Despair I never knew could exist flooded me as I ran for the forest, letting out a howl laced with sheer agony. I looked to the moon and let out howl after howl, making sure Selene knew the pain she had caused me. Tamisra's agony bled into my own, amplifying it tenfold. We ran at a speed I didn't think was possible. I thought we were being followed at some point, but they would never catch us.

We ran until we reached a clearing; I jumped into the middle, shifting back when I hit the ground. Tamisra's howls were replaced with my screams. Screams that came straight from the shattered pieces of my soul. The trees shook, and the ground trembled as my screams reached a crescendo, and then something within me snapped. Coldness. Frozen, black, and so cold that not even the fires of Tartarus could tame it overtook my body. Instead of it leaving me, it surrounded me. I opened my eyes and watched as a black tint clouded my vision. My despair turned to rage as I turned to the skies. The Heavens that held my birth mother and the moon that held my parents will feel my wrath for inflicting this pain on me and my family.

And then everything went black.