Chapter 65-Amara

"Let's hear it then. Start with his kingdom's main territory."

"His kingdom is not far from here. While he does have armies there, their numbers could be better, and they're his lowest-ranking soldiers, all of his best he took with him. Since he's been tracking Amara over the last couple of months, his favorite Duke has been in charge over there. Outside the wall of the castle and its main village, you'll find crowded poverty. He allowed his people to starve, telling them it would start wars if we hunted humans, wolves, or fae after they stopped donating blood to us. In reality, he cut off all contact and trade with them, allowing his people to believe they were trying to starve us out. That's how he got most of his willing soldiers initially. From there, he made life for anyone who was his soldier comfortable. If you fought for him, you and your family could move over the wall, where you were given the bare minimum food and housing."

The room falls into a disgusted silence. Goddess above, this man was pure evil. All that suffering for nothing other than more power for himself?

"Can we expect him to return there?" Dad asks

"Now? Yes. He bought those warehouses scattered throughout the area to keep her in different places so you wouldn't find her; taking her back to the kingdom would be the obvious choice," Damon says to Dad, who nods thoughtfully. "But you may not need to. His plan was a full takeover if his demon friend couldn't portal in and out with Amara. He wanted to avoid battle in the interest of needing numbers after he carelessly threw them away. Now, that's what he would resort to."

"What information do you have on the demon?" Roman says, and I stiffen.

Shit, I hadn't told him about Felix tricking us. We talked very minimally over the last day about the specific details, saying we would go over it when we had this meeting. This would not go over well. Samirah and Damon both look at me, and I take a sharp inhale

"Remember that time we killed Felix? Yeah, it turns out his brother shapeshifted into him to trick us. He's very much alive and is the one who abducted me from the packgrounds," I mutter quickly, just wanting to spit it out.

Okay, I probably could have delivered that better. Roman's hands clench, and the room around us starts to shake as his eyes turn black, fur sprouts along his arm, and black mist leaks from his fingertips. I freeze; I've never seen him so angry; in fact, his temper has always been well under control around me.

'Touch him, you idiot, before he brings the packhouse down!' Tamisra says to me

Without thinking, I grab both sides of his face and kiss him. Instantly, the floor stops shaking. When I pull away, his eyes are still wholly black.

"It's okay, we're back, and we're safe now; the only ones you'll be hurting if you destroy the entire packhouse is us and your pack. Save that energy for when we kill him for real this time," I whisper to him

His eyes return to normal, but he pulls me onto his lap and pushes his head into my neck, inhaling deeply. I have to bite my cheeks as he holds me close, I definitely do not need the whole room smelling my arousal. Nope, definitely not.

'Unless you want me to leave the room, I suggest you tune into my emotions in the bond and stop what you're doing right now' I say through the link

'We could always take a quick ten-minute break,' he says huskily, squeezing my hips

'ROMAN!' I yell back

He loosens his grip on me; I don't need to look back to know he has that stupid smug smile on his face. I glance around, hoping no one noticed that, but my dad is glaring at him; Aylin looks bored, while Seth and Az have their noses scrunched. Oh, I will so get him back later for this.