Familiar stranger

Nora POV

„Mom? Why are you so silent?" Quinn asked as he pulled on my sleeve. His voice felt so far away and it slightly had an echo in it.

„Mom? Are you okay?" I heard Chase' voice now and glanced down to her for a split moment. My vision is blurry from the tears I have in my eyes because I have finally my kids back but my heart stings as I see this woman standing in my room at the edge of my bed.

She's not a doctor for sure and neither a nurse.
I feel like I know her but something in my mind cut the connection between me and her. Not a single memory lingers in my mind when I try to think of Lizzie. Probably short for Elizabeth which sounds beautiful. She is in fact beautiful. Stunning indeed even though she is dressed as simple as possible.

She wears doc martens which remind me of mine.
A mid dark mom jeans with a green sweater.
A leather jacket that looks awfully close to the one I have hanging in my closet. Her hair is in a mix of blond tones with bangs.

She has a bit blush around her nose. Her lips are plump and her face is diamond shaped with a sharp jaw and cheekbones and...

Those eyes... don't get me started on them.
They are glossy from the tears that she try's to hold back. But even though they are blurry I can still see the clear evergreen.

She sniffed her nose and I pulled my hand away from my daughter so I would have a free hand to greet her with.

„hey." was all I could bring out and she looked down at my hand with a frown expression which made me pull away slowly.

„Don't we shake hands these days?" I mumbled to Chase and she shrugged her shoulders.

„Excuse me please." she huffed out and walked out hysterically.

„Mom don't you remember her? This is Lizzie!! She is our mom now too!!" Quinn asked and I looked to my right.

„she's what?" I asked and he placed his hand in front of his mouth as if he said something he shouldn't have said.

„Mom!! She is an old friend of yours. She took care of us while you where gone. You told her that. Did you forget that?" Chase asked and a lump started to tighten around my throat. I looked back to the half opened door where she ran out to probably get some fresh air which I am in desperate need too.

I looked to my right seeing the bright daylight outside and I really wanted to be back outside again.

„Quinn open the window for me...p-please."
Quinn opened the window and Chase was holding my hand as she noticed that I was breathing a bit uncontrolled.

„Mom are you okay?? Should I get someone?"
I pushed my head back into the pillow and closed my eyes as I started to feel as if my head was spinning even though my eyes are closed.
The Puls that rested in my throat is distracting me from breathing in properly and I began to feel lightheaded.

„Mom??? Anyone please!! Our mom needs help!"
The kids yelled out as I didn't feel them hold my hand anymore. Seems like they ran outside.

It Didn't last long until I had my doctor beside me trying to talk me through but nothing seemed to help. Until I heard her voice.

„Nora love! Hey it's me Lizzie come on you can do this. Here grab my hand." I felt her cold hand that shocked me a bit at first but I adjusted to it quick as I squeezed it hard.

„Now please. Open your eyes. I am here. Quinn and Chase are outside don't worry about them seeing you like this. They got us immediately. They brought help and here we are now okay! It's just you and me." I fumbled the tube away from my nose even though Lizzie tried to hold it there with her other hand.

„take the oxygen mask." I heard a nurse say and now I fell Lizzie's cold hand again as she placed the mask into the palm of my hand to push it up to my face.

„Nora Love please open your eyes and look at me." Lizzie pleaded gently but I hesitated for a moment.

„please. Do it for me... I want to... no I need to see your eyes I need to look into them. I missed them so much. I missed you." she stroked her thumb on my cheek and I slowly opened my eyes as my breath started to slow down.

„Here they are. Those beautiful deep eyes. You are doing great love." she spoke up as I was now able to take deep chest breaths.

„I-I am sorry Elizabeth." i mumbled into the mask and she tilted her head confused as she sat down on the edge of the bed.

„For what Love?" she asked as she squeezed my hand lightly.

„I-I don't know who you are. I c-cant remember
you. You seem to be very important to me. I wanna remember I do. But I-I feel like I am standing in the dark. With no light near me."

„Then let me be your light dear. The sun will shine again after the storm." she told me as she stroked the palm of my hand.

„What if there is no sun?" I asked hopelessly.

„Then I will be your moon." she whispered gently and my heart started to feel a bit more at ease.

„I love the moon." I mumbled as I was taking deep breaths.

„And so do I.." she added and I couldn't help but to smile a bit.

„Mom?? Are you doing better?" I heard Chase asked as she leaned against Lizzie's legs. Quinn walked around tithe other bed side and crawled up to sit on the bed.

„hey sweetie. I am better now." I pulled the mask off but I saw how Lizzie shook her head in a demanding way.

„Leave the mask on dear. It's okay."
She told me and I smiled a bit more while leaning back into the bed.

...