Chapter 2

Lauren stared at the computer screen while her hand held tightly onto an open bottle of now half filled vodka. Her eyes tried to read the upcoming events in her schedule, but after a while only became distant. It seemed as though she couldn't rid her mind of Camila's decision, that no matter how hard she tried, her heart for some reason ached

A small knock hit against the door and within seconds, Emma had approached the woman's desk "It's late LJ, maybe it's time to go home?"

Lauren laughed, her expression cold and her stare intimidating. Emma swallowed her breath and reached for the bottle, Lauren was quick to snatch it back "I heard about Camila's new take on your relationship"

"There was never any relationship" Lauren slurred "Just a situation that didn't work out"

Emma perched on the seat opposite the desk and sighed "I can tell she regrets it Lauren, she performed like a professional today? I know that's supposed to be a good thing, but her energy was powerful! Like she needed an outlet"

Lauren took another gulp from the glass bottle and shook her head. The thick locks of black tumbling down her back while her spare hand reached to wipe her lips "It's about time she started acting up to her place here!" She spoke, rolling her emerald eyes "She has had too easy of a ride this far!"

"I know you're hurting right now Lauren"

"Hurting?" Lauren scoffed "No, I'm just exhausted!"

Emma sighed again, rolling her index finger over the arm of her chair "You only drink this much when you're upset Lo" she explained "You're drunk?"

"Nope" Lauren lifted her palms up and into her hair, dragging back the hair from her face with a grunt that filed the room "I've been drinking since I was thirteen, my tolerance needs more than this to feel a buzz"

"What did she tell you?"

Lauren tilted her head, refusing eye contact after the strategic change of subject "She told me it was over, that she was too insecure to fool around! Partly because of her own shit and partly because of mine!"

"Yours being?"

"You!" She laughed "I tried to tell her it was ancient history but Camila being Camila twisted the story into a personal attack"

Emma smiled, shaking her head gently "You know, you used to do that" she began "You couldn't handle being told everything was ok, so you'd just create another problem to compensate"

"This isn't about me"

"It kind of is?" Lauren hated the talk back, she hated being challenged. Still however, she decided to listen "I mean, you were just like her not so long ago? When you took over the company, your emotions were like a hot tub!"

"Where are you going with this?" Lauren probed

"She's worth the effort Lauren and you know it? We stuck around you so why can't you stick around her?"

Lauren slammed her bottle against the desk and grunted "Because she told me it's finished! Don't you understand that?"

"I do but-

"I'm exhausted Emma!" Lauren rasped, flashing her dominating green eyes "If she wants to push me away then fine! I have a billion dollar company to run, and I'll be damned if she gets in the way of that like you did!"

Emma gasped on her breath, holding her hand against her chest with a devastated grin "You're really blaming me for that?"

Lauren released a laugh "No, but I won't lie and say falling for you was easy! It ruined me! I could hardly get out of bed knowing you didn't feel the same, Camila will not be the next you!"