Chapter 12

Camila found herself slumped outside of Emma's studio, the class inside yet to finish. Her mind was filled with puzzling thoughts about Lauren, the care she took to welcome her into the office before telling her once again she wasn't good enough to perform

It felt strange, like a tight rope was pulling within her stomach. The proximity to Lauren felt incredible, just the two of them alone in her office with nothing but the low light of her expensive gold lamps. Camila wondered in that moment if exposing her regret would have changed anything, if somewhere beneath that hard exterior laid some kind of secret button

It was a tough thought, Lauren seemed so close yet so unbelievably far, like the clasp of a bracelet that once closed could not again be opened. With the lifting of her deep brown eyes she sighed, fiddling with the band of her sock while draining her mind of thought

It only took another five or so minutes for the class to empty, tall legs strolling past her as if not existing at all. When the last person left she decided to stand, nibbling her lower lip before walking calmly through the open door

Emma had noticed the girl instantly, walking across the room with a timid smile "Camila! You really came back?" she bellowed, tightening the knot of her pony tail "Come in, close the door!"

Camila sniffled and wiped at her nose as she dumped the grey duffel bag into the floor beside the door "I feel better now" she admit "Just a blip" her voice spoke quietly, clearly having poured her heart out to someone given the exhausted look across her face "Why did you wanna see me anyway?"

Emma clapped her hands together excitedly "I wanted to show you the routine!" Her long legs almost ran toward the stereo, turning the volume down before training her look back against the younger "For the show! I was briefed on it last night and well, it's pretty cool!"

Camila widened her eyes for a moment before retracing her joy to the revelation she'd made a few moments prior in Lauren's office "What?" Emma asked "You're not excited?"

The girl shrugged, looking around the room as if trying to distract her own emotions "I was, then I wasn't, now? Now I'm not" she explained "I found out that Lauren's mom only wanted me to be in the show to make her look stupid" she laughed lowly with a palm moving portions of her hair from her cheek "It's like inviting that one loser girl to your party just to have something to laugh at"

Camila sank to the floor against the wall with arms draped lazily over her knees. The back of her head resting against the cold brick while Emma furrowed a brow and paced forwards "I don't understand?" She began "Where did you hear that Camila?"

"Her own mouth" she laughed again "She ambushed me before class"

Emma finally muddled the puzzle pieces together and sighed "That's why you were angry earlier huh?" She questioned "When I kicked you out?"

The girl nodded and smiled weakly "Something like that"

Emma bent down onto the balls of her feet and rested a gentle hand over the girl's knee "I would have understood if you told me Camila?" She spoke softly "You got really worked up, we could have talked about it?"

"Talked about it?" The girl called out, her face screwing up in agony "What, about how even when I try to do the right thing I'm still being taken advantage of?" She hummed "Or about how nobody believes in my ability enough to just say yeah, she's great! She deserves that spot!"

"You do!" Emma interjected "Camila, a hard life lesson to learn is that it doesn't matter what motives put you on that stage, it's the performance you give that defines your character!" She spoke passionately "Who gives a shit if you paid to have that spot? The show you put on is what counts, it's the thing people talk about and remember, not how you happened to be there!"