Chapter 31

Nikki checked her watch for the fourth time in twenty minutes, her eyes scanning the hands just to make sure they were running on time. Lauren too, she sat at her desk, flicking her thumb over the screen of her phone to keep check on the fast escaping moments

"Relax" Nikki spoke, straightening her tight fitting blazer with a sigh "Everything will be ok"

Lauren took a deep breath and straightened her toned back "I sure hope so" she replied "I can't even think straight right now"

Nikki wondered across the room and laid a hand across Lauren's shoulder, the gesture doing little despite their blooming friendship. Before she could speak another word, the door across the room echoed with a bounding knock "I'll get it"

Nikki paced towards the door and allowed an army of lawyers through the door, Lauren smiled weakly as they walked to sit behind her, all four of them pulling out their documents and voice recorders "Ma'am" one of them nodded, their fitted suits and pristine polished shoes signifying their importance

"Thank you all for coming" Lauren spoke, refusing to look behind her as the nerves began to creep into her stomach "Let's do this"

"Ready?" Nikki clarified with a cocked brow

"Ready"

Nikki escaped the room for a moment, and before long, she returned, followed by Lauren's father and personal entourage of lawyers. He sat with a slump in the chair opposite, his dirty brown eyes and slicked back hair making Lauren feel wheezy in an instant

The room felt undeniably tense, it was almost as if someone had drawn a red line in the middle of the desk, separating Lauren and Mike into their own corners of defence. The duelling teams of lawyers looked each other up and down, their eyes vacant and their backs straight

"Let's get this over with then" huffed Lauren, reaching only her hand back as a man behind handed a document into her palm "I'd rather not drag out the inevitable"

Mike chuckled, his smug grin infuriating Nikki who stood on the sidelines "I expected more of a fight if I'm honest" he grumbled "I'm not complaining, the Academy was bound to fall back into my hands eventually! I'm just shocked you have laid yourself down so quickly"

Lauren raised a brow as she continued to look into the desk "I have far too much to lose, fighting you for my academy will only end in tears, correct?"

Mike nodded, leaning forwards into his chair with an astounding confidence "Intellect has always been your strong suit my girl" he winked grotesquely "Good to see you're putting it to use! Matthew, hand me my glasses"

Lauren took a quick glance over at Nikki who offered a subtle nodding wink. The woman gave her comfort, safety in a situation that could quickly go horribly wrong "So" Lauren began, lifting her chin now to look directly at her father who admittedly swallowed at the sight of her blazing green eyes "Where would you like to start?"

"The end" Mike cackled, looking over his shoulder for his lawyers reactions "I'm happy to sign for what is mine" Lauren laughed gently under her breath, confusing the man in front who now cocked his brow "Something funny?"

"Little bit" Lauren mocked, shaking her head with a sigh "Starting at the end saves me a lot of time so I guess we're in agreement"

"Right" Mike shuffled uncomfortably "Well come on then, let's do it"

Lauren smiled, her lips pulling into a smirk as she reached her hand behind for another document. She slammed it in front of her father's chest and allowed him a few moments to read

"What is this?" He grunted in offence "This is a joke, right?"

Lauren remained poised, her elegance and class pouring from over her shoulders "Thankfully, no!" She smirked "It's a release document, clarifying that after you sign, you will have no rights to my academy or my assets"