Chapter 28

No POV

Tensions were at an all time high as the entire academy settled in the main studio. Lauren had called for a surprise meeting and hadn't explained the reason to anyone, not even Camila. Nova squealed excitedly when sitting down next to her towards the side of the crowd "Come on you've got to tell me, I know you have to know something!"

Camila giggled and wondered how Nova could maintain her energy despite the pop up meeting "I swear, Nov, I don't know anything. Now chill out, she's coming"

Everyone fell quiet as Lauren, Dinah, Normani, Emma and Fallon walked towards the front of the room. Camila didn't try to stop staring at her girlfriend as she wore a tailor-made black suit with only a bra hiding her chest, the waterfall of raven hair across her back and shoulders giving the girl a blushing smile, she'd never seen the woman in a suit before.

"Good morning everyone. I understand this meeting comes as a surprise, but I've got an announcement that has been in the works for quite some time now."

With that, a wave of wonder and questions filled the large studio, quickly stopped by Normani clapping her hands to regain attention from the students. Lauren herself was surprised by the shy teacher's action, looking on at her with raised eyebrows and a proud grin before turning back towards the crowd

"Thank you Mani, I will not be able to announce anything if I am being interrupted every thirty seconds." She claimed coldly "Since the showcase, I have been observing you and consulting with the teachers to choose the perfect fit for the next featured campaign I have been organising with our very generous partners."

A few excited squeals came from the crowd but were quickly halted by Lauren's powerful gaze.
"The campaign will feature two dancers for a photoshoot led by a sport's fashion magazine. The first dancer has been chosen due to her fast improvement even considering her short time spent with us. She has proven loyalty to her craft and the Academy and I have no doubt she will make an excellent debut as a representative for our home, please welcome, Miss Nova Roman!"

A loud squeak came from the side of the audience, Nova was already crying and Camila stood up and gave her a hug. "Oh my god, Nova! I'm so proud of you, go get it girl!" Shortly after, she encouraged the dancer towards the stage. The excited young girl skipped through the studio and ran towards Lauren, giving her a sudden hug that thankfully didn't take long to return.

After the students had cheered the girl on and had calmed down again, Lauren was able to continue "The second dancer has come such a long way and should be very proud of herself, Camila! She is the most dedica-"

A scoff interrupted Lauren's powerful voice "Of course it's that pathetic bitch" Ella grunted "No surprise there!"

"Miss Williams. Stand up!" Ella lifted her eyes in shock, although meaning her words, she hadn't meant them to appear so loud "I will not repeat myself. You think you can talk about a fellow dancer like that?"

"I didn't- I didn't think.." an intimidated Ella tried to muster

"No, it doesn't seem like you did. The board's choice for the featuring dancers was objective and fair. Camila is a fantastic dancer who is far more dedicated to dancing than any of you are. When all of you go out drinking and feeding your bodies crap, she dances for hours after classes are finished and takes corrections to better herself. She is trained in more styles than most of you could even dream of attempting. Most of you are amazing, committed dancers which I am eternally thankful and proud of you for, but you" she turned to Ella again "You have been more concerned about feeding your ego and bullying your fellow dancers than rehearsing and fixing the same corrections you have been receiving for years. This was a mutual decision from the board, not a personal one."