A Fresh Start

The moving truck in my driveway sits still, back door open while it contains every possession of my family's and mine. I stare at it and it hits me, that my world as I know is about to be moved across the country. 

Now, it's not that my life in this town has been great or anything, but it's my life. And right now I'm staring at it in the back of a moving truck.
The world has been moving a little to quickly for me lately. It's almost like I'm watching a race— right now I'm losing. But can you blame me? My family ripped apart, split in half, without my knowing. And now I'm moving across the country.

My parents divorced recently, very recently. It's not like I didn't see it coming, I mean, the screaming at each other in the middle of the night, to sleeping in different rooms, to— divorce papers. Bits and pieces I've gathered on my own along with my own assumptions fit the pieces together messily. I don't know what my dad did, but I can guess. My mother doesn't want me to see my father in a negative light, so, secrets.

That was 3 months ago. Now? Moving truck. There's nothing keeping my mom here anymore. We're here for him, his job, his life.
"It's time for a fresh start". My mother had told me. I guess I just didn't think we'd be here so quick.
       _____________________________

The drive took 4 days, different truck stops, multiple sleepless hotel nights, and a very tired mother and daughter. She's happy I think, she wasn't happy there, hell, neither of us were. But she's excited about this new opportunity. I am not. I miss my life, I miss my town, my friends, my room, my dad..

I'm watching the houses pass as we pull up to our street. The houses are nice, comfortable. The ground is covered in a light fresh layer of snow and kids are playing in their front lawns. Before I know it we pull up to a nice looking two story house. Our house. In South Park, Colorado. Where I live.

I will never get used to that. I think.

I look over at my mom, who gives me a tired reassuring smile. How can she smile right now? I get out of the car and stretch my legs.

It's fucking cold out here.

I'm bitter, but she doesn't need that right now. The movers help us move everything into the house and into their respective rooms. Then, they take there truck and drive away. I watch them leave and wish they would take me with them. I have nothing personal against this town, it's just not my town. It's not my home. I want to go home.

My mom slumps into the dining room chair with a sigh. She's tired, but somehow looks more refreshed then she has in a long time. I walk up into the room with her.

"Do you want to see your room?"
       _____________________________

It's nicer then I expected, bigger then mine- my old one. There's a big window in front of my bed, I moved it there because I like to look at the moon and the stars as I fall asleep. It's comforting. Like no matter where in the word I am, it's the same sky, we're all looking at the same thing.

A few hours of unpacking and we're not even halfway done. Why do we have so many things? I don't remember ever having this many things. The sun is starting to set as I look through the window in my room. It's beautiful I'll admit. The sky turns different shades oranges and reds. The snow sparkles like it's dancing and it's almost hypnotic. Like someone poured glitter all over it.

A figure in the window across the street catches my eye, it's a boy, maybe my age can't be older then 18 I think to myself. I can't make out any details but he's not looking at me. Maybe we'll meet one day. Should I go over and say hi? Is that what new neighbors do? I haven't been the new girl In years. I don't know anything anymore. I'm caught up in my own thought when he turn around to look at me, and I realize I'm staring.

Shit.

He gives me a smile and waves, I notice his big green winter hat. Smart, looks warm. I need winter clothes I think to myself.

Shit he's waving, do I wave?
Of course you wave don't be a weirdo.

I give him a shy smile and wave back slowly.

I need curtains.