A Pity

"What if he's not there?" Kyle yells, out of breath as we sprint down the street.

"He has to be!" I mumble. My lungs burning as the taste of metal trickles down my throat.

The school doors slam open and we don't stop for anyone. Heading straight to the office, to scared to slow down.

The wooden door opens as teachers yell at us, confused and slightly worried. We're not listening. We trip over each other as we file inside, speaking all at once. PC principal looks back at us, his glasses off and wide eyed as shock takes over him. He quickly shakes it off and furrows his eyebrows at us.

"One- one at a time, please!" He scowls as his arms cross.

"We have proof!" We all scream in unison, panting and panicked.

"Proof of?" He rolls his eyes.

We look at each other, annoyed for a just a second. Trying to decide who's going to explain this. They look at me, forcing me to speak as I slowly look back to the principle. I walk up to his desk and slam Cartman's phone down on it. It plays the voice recording first, loud and blasting.

The room falls silent as PC principals face drops, intensely listening in. I swipe and pull up all the photos we took. Completely desensitized to them by now, as I've been looking at them for a while. Thanking the universe silently that we had enough time to get all this evidence to Cartmans phone.

He's completely silent as I swipe through, landing on the last picture. One I didn't know Cartman even had, or when he found the time to take it. My locker stands loud and proud on the phone screen and the boys flinch. I don't move a muscle as I stand strong and hard. Feet firmly on the ground.

"That's the evidence of my locker". I spit, looking him right in the eyes.

He looks away from me, putting his cold sunglasses back on. Waiting for me to continue.

I finish with the video, watching in real time as Wendy pummels me into the earth. I scrunch my eyebrows, angry and fucking powerful.

It's funny, if this was different— less at stake— it would almost be fun. Like I get to play detective for a minute, with my childhood friends. Instead of the impending doom of failure ripping and twisting at my insides. Tangled in knots.

The video ends and I throw Cartman his phone back. He catches it, messily. Fumbling with it in his palms as he looks to me in shock. Actually the whole group is getting worried, as I stand there eye level with the principal. Challenging him to a life or death battle in my mind. Eyes on fire and scowling. My body relaxed and powerful. Screaming superiority.

As the air leaves the room, tension picks up. Mostly the fire burning behind my eyes, and his— challenging me to something I don't quite understand. I get the feeling he doesn't feel in charge of this situation. Guilt bleeding into his aura.

The door bursts open and I don't look away for a second. He flinched as he realizes who's walked in.

"PC principal— if I could have a minute of your time"-

She freezes as she realizes who's in the room with her.

Wendy's at the door, pale and starting to look a little green. I turn my head at the sound of her voice and widen my stance. Taking this chance to stand up for myself.

"N-no.. I- look, I don't know what they told you— but it's not true!" She runs over to the side of me.

She's pleading with her eyes as she claws desperately for something, anything. Sympathy? Atonement? I don't understand what she thinks she can pull out of this situation now.