Always The Flirt

She stares at us, as we stare at her back. She exchanges looks with each of us as she watches Kyle, her child, pin me down with my hands above my head, while I wear his hat. No one breaths, no one moves. I can't tear my eyes away from her blank expression. Suddenly, after what feels like hours, she calmly shuts the door without a word.
She knocks on it slowly, and whispers something about dinner being ready, and to come down whenever.
We hear her footsteps walk calmly away from the door, and down the stairs, until it's silent in the room again. I don't dare move, but neither does he.
He slowly turns to look at me, like he's seen a ghost. Pale and nervous. I chuckle a little under my breath, but suddenly I burst out into laughter. Loud and bright.

He quickly lets go of me and gets up. Sitting on the floor next to me and I giggling like a mad man.

"Oh. My. God". He says quietly, turning redder then I've ever seen him. Putting his head in his hands.

He looks over at me wide eyed and starts laughing ever so slightly with me.

I wipe the tears from my eyes and I try to speak.
"Holy— shit!"

"This is not good..." he tells me.

"No fucking way that just happened!" I tell him as he looks back to his hands. "That was— so fucking funny.." I say chuckling still.

"That was not funny! Oh, god. How are we— gonna eat dinner after that?"

"Come on man, just explain what happened". I tell him patting his back.

He groans in his hands.

__________________________

Dinner was— well, to be aspected I guess. Awkward, and a little funny as Kyle ovoids his mothers gaze. She pretended she didn't see anything, which I didn't mind. She makes small talk with me and her husband, I laugh with them and Ike at the table. Kyle doesn't speak more then two words.

After we finish, I offer to help clean up. His mother declines my offer again and again stating, I'm a guest, and I shouldn't worry my pretty little head about it. I thank her for the delicious meal, though I'm not entirely sure what it was. It was good nonetheless. Kyle hands me my things at the door and I reluctantly give his hat back. Feeling just a little bit colder now. He reaches down to fix some stray hairs on my head from the hat, but quickly stops when he catches his mother staring. He pushes me out the door for privacy.

As the door shuts he looks to me and sighs, though he's smiling.

"Thanks for you help." I thank him, standing on my toes to wrap my hands around his neck.

He stiffness for a second before wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me in, tight. Flush against his own warm body. I feel him breathing in my scent, as I do the same. I bury my face in his neck as I sigh. We stand there like that for a while before I pull away first. He keeps his hands on my hips as he smiles at me.

"Anytime..."

"Don't say that, I'll be here every night." I joke.

"I wouldn't mind". He tells me, sincerely.

"Whatever.." I laugh, rolling my eyes, and he lets go.

"Goodbye Kyle."

"Be safe".

I turn around and walk across the street, back to my house. Once I'm inside I begin to shut the door, stealing one last glance at my neighbor, who's waving at me. I wave back and close it all the way.

I have a few hours to waste before I head over to Craig's house, so I decided to bake a fresh batch of cookies for Kenny tomorrow. Maybe I'll bring some for the rest of the boys, just for good measure. I feel as though I own them an apology. This whole Wendy situation has taken a toll on my heart, and I'm sure it has them too. I feel bad, like it's my fault. They get so worried about me, and I cause nothing but trouble.