"Little Bear"

It's my last night before school tomorrow morning and I can't seem to sit still. It's dark out so I don't think anyone is still awake. I would go on my roof again but can't seem to stop pacing my room.

Fuck this, I'm going for a walk.

I throw on a beanie and jump out my window, my ankles burn a little bit at the contact but I walk it off. Not really sure where I'm going.

A few minutes of walking later I come to a small pond surrounded by trees covered in snow. The sign next to it reads: "South Park ice skating rink".
I smile to myself not having been ice skating since I was a kid. I don't have any skates on me though and I think maybe I'll buy some one day. There's a few benches surrounding the area but no one's sitting at them, it's probably to late and everyone went home.

As I'm walking around it, I see a boy actually is sitting at one of the benches. To my surprise, looking up with a notebook and pen in his lap. I wonder what he's doing as the parks closed now and I don't see any ice skates near him. As I get closer I realize it's one of the boys I met so long ago at Tweek's coffee shop. He's wearing a long blue beanie with a yellow puff ball on top.

"Craig?" I say as I get closer now standing in front of him.

He jumps a little, dropping his pen and looks up at me. You could never tell I startled him though, as his face looks at me blankly, on a verge of annoyed.

"Oh, hey new kid". He says to me in that signature nasally voice. 

"What are you doing?" I ask him.

He leans down to pick his pen up from the ground and flips his notebook around silently.

At first I think he's drawing, but as I look closer I see he's studying. He's drawing the constellations in the sky and noting them down on paper. With facts and bullet points talking about each one.

I grab the book and look at it closer.

"No way! This is amazing!" I tell him, still gawking at the paper.

"Is this for a school project or something"?

He shrugs at me.

"No". He says plain. "I just like space".

I return his notebook and pull out my phone excitedly showing him the constellation app I have on it.

"Me too!"

I see shock on his features for a quick second, and he just stares at me silent.

I feel awkward for a moment thinking I got to excited again when he tells me to sit.

"Really?" I ask him. I always think I'm annoying him.

He nods his head at me and I sit down next to him not to close. He motions for me to sit closer so I awkwardly scoot. To my surprise he puts the notebook in between us and starts pointing at different notes he has.

"This one's called the Big Dipper, or the Plough and it makes up part of the constellation Ursa Major. It's pretty much the most common." He tells me in that voice of his.

I can't tell if he's actually interested in this stuff or not, his voice always sounds sarcastic and monotoned, like he's not paying attention.

"Oh yeah! And this one's the Little Dipper right?" I ask him pointing to a smaller model on the paper.

"Yup". He looks up pointing to the sky.

I find it in the sky with his help and gasp.

"I can't see this from my house!"

"Yeah, this spot is the best". He says lamely.

He points back down to the notebook with little scribbles next to the diagram, that I realize it's his messy handwriting.

"The Little Dipper is a group of seven stars that also form the shape of a dipper, like the bigger one it's also called "little bear", or "big bear", for the Big Dipper."

"Yeah, and that means.." I trail off looking for something in the sky. "There! The North Star!"

"Wow, you sure know a lot about stars". He tells me.

At first I think he's making fun of me for pointing out something so obvious, but when I look at him, he looks genuinely interested.

"Yeah." I scratch the back of my neck. "I love the stars".

I feel like I've been saying that a lot lately.

"Me too". He says still looking in my eyes.

I giggle as he tells me more about the ones he's drawn already. It's actually pretty interesting stuff, and I find myself learning things even I didn't know.

"I don't know how you see this shit". I tell him laughing and squinting at the sky.

"I have a telescope". He states blankly.

"No fucking way". I jump up. "I'm so jealous."

"You start school tomorrow right"?

"Yeah?" I say, confused as the conversation flips. Also confused as to how he knew that.

"Come over tomorrow night, you can use it". He pretty much tells me, instead of asking.

"Really? Can I"? I'm almost vibrating at him.

"Sure".

I gasp and quickly pull him into a hug without thinking. He doesn't hug me back right away, but when he does he just lightly taps my back.
I pull away fast turning red.

"S-sorry". I look away.

He laughs at me. And for a second, I think it's coming from somewhere else.

Did I just make Craig Tucker.. Laugh??

It's short and sweet, and when it's over I want to hear it again.

He just flips the page in his notebook and scribbles something down. He rips it out and hands it to me.

I look at it and try my best to read his handwriting, but I notice it's his number, and address.

"My house :p" it reads.

Before I can even thank him he stands up in front of me, and I step back a few times.

Holy shit.

He's tall, really tall. He stands at maybe 6'2, 6'3 even!

He notices my reaction and smirks.

I guess I've only ever seen him sitting..

"Tomorrow night, new kid. I'll see you then".

And with that he walks off.

I'm left utterly stunned by our interaction as I watch him leave.

Holy shit.