Hey Neighbor

"By the way...", Kyle looks at me. "Want to exchange phone numbers?" He asks scratching the back of his head awkwardly.

I'm caught off guard by this, but accept anyway. As where putting the contact information into each of our phones, I look at him and raise my brow.

"Does this mean we're friends now?" I joke sarcastically.

"I guess it does". He says sincerely.

I smile from his forwardness. I'm looking at the ground again. He sees this and playfully bumps my shoulder with his.

"Come on best friend, let go inside". He laughs, walking into the the house in front of me so I can't see his face.

Friends..

As we walking into the living room the heat takes over my body and I sigh contently. Feeling my temperature even out. My fingers are kind of burning though. I press them against my cheeks feeling how cold I actually was. I guess I stopped noticing the weather for the first time.

"You need gloves". Kyle tells me shaking his head. Smiling none the less.

I didn't know he was watching me..

"Oh good, kids! Come in here!" Kyles mom yells at us.

Walking in, I smell dinner being made, and I immediately feel bad for making Kyle get ice cream with me. I see his father sitting down at the table with my mom, while Mrs. Broflovski has her back to us working over the stove. I wave at Mr. Broflovski and he returns my wave with a kind look on his face. I notice the kippah on the the middle of his head and think Kyle's family must be religious.

"Kyle, their staying for dinner, it will be done soon so don't spoil your appetite". His mother says.

Kyle looks over at me like he was just caught in a lie. We lock eyes and immediately bust into laughter.

"Sure mom". He says through breaths, and we run upstairs giggling.

The adults look at each other dumb founded.

After closing the door he jumps onto his bed, relaxing. I stand there awkwardly not knowing where to look, or what to do with my body. He sits up and pats the spot on his bed next to him. I clear my throat and sit on the edge of the bed stiff as a rock.

"Do you like video games?"
             _______________________

Dinner went by smoothly, and now we're saying goodbye at the door I stand next to Kyle as his parents drag on their conversation they were having at dinner. I look over to him and he rolls his eyes making a talking motion with his hands signing his parents talk to much. I lightly push his shoulder giggling.

My mom looks so happy..

Finally though, they say goodbye and my mom gives Mrs. Broflovski a big hug. They decided they will talk soon and we walk out the door. I look back at Kyle and he smiles at me. I don't return it though, instead, looking back forward at my own house.

I hate this fucking house.

I don't want to go inside but we do anyway, and my mom puts her stuff down on the counter.

It's cold in here.

I tell her I'm heading to bed and she does the same on the first floor. Walking into my room I throw myself into my bed and stare at the ceiling. I almost forgot for a second that my life is here now. I'm here now forever. And I can't go home anymore. I turn my head to look at Kyles window and notice his curtains are now open but I don't see him.