Mornin- Vada Cavell

Word count: 2212

You swirled your cup, the alcohol at the bottom becoming fizzy with all of the added oxygen. You looked out at the scene in front of you, regretting showing up. Your friend Lex had invited you to a 'small get-together' and now she was nowhere to be seen, her house packed with drunk sweaty teenagers. The air was thick as you began to walk towards the exit, not wanting to stay here any longer.

"No, let go." You heard some girl slur quietly, barely hearing her over the loud music. You turned around to see Vada being dragged up the stairs by someone you had never seen before. He was wearing college attire so you knew he was over eighteen.

"Come on sweetheart," he coaxed sickly, continuing to drag her by her arm. You had only talked to Vada a few times since you broke up, and it was before the shooting, you had sat next to each other in art class, often helping each other with the projects You had stopped really talking to each other because the break up wasn't that pretty. But even if you didn't like each other right now, there was no way you could just stand by and watch this happen.

"Oh Vada, there you are!" You exclaimed, running up the stairs, grabbing onto her free hand. She gave you a confused look, she was either very drunk or very high... or both.

"She's busy." The boy spat, trying to pull her farther up the stairs, but you held your grip on her hand firm, your feet planting where you stood. "Let go, dude," he hissed, trying to convince you to let him take the intoxicated girl.

"No, I don't think I will." You responded, she tried wiggling her arm out of his grasp, but she was beginning to crash, any strength she had previously was gone now. "Let go of her." You demanded, not letting your grip falter for even a moment.

"Do we have a problem?" He barked, walking down the few steps between you and getting right in your face. This allowed you to adjust your grip on the small girl, wrapping your arm around her entire body and holding on.

"We don't, but if you don't let go of her, we will." You said, the anger in your eyes. He stared at you for a moment, genuinely contemplating his options.

"Whatever, this isn't worth it." He said quickly, finally letting go of the girl and walking past you, straight out the front door. Vada went limp in your arms, mumbling as you tried to hold her up.

"Come on, let's get you out of here." You said to the girl, beginning to walk the two of you down the stairs. Under normal circumstances, you would never take anyone to your car, intoxicated or not, but clearly, Vada was in no shape to make any decisions. You had one arm around her waist while the other draped her hand around your shoulder. You began to walk the two of you out of the crowded house and to your car.

"Are you kidnapping me?" She slurred as you set her in the passenger seat of your car. You laughed at the brunette's words because it genuinely did seem like that.

"No, I'm not, you smiled, buckling her in, "I'm gonna take you home." You shut her door and walked around to the driver's side, getting in and locking the doors.

"You remember where I live?" She asked, slumping over in her seat.

"Not really smarty pants, that's why you gotta tell me." You responded, turning your car on and pulling out of Lex's driveway. "So where to?" You asked, looking at the small girl beside you. She just giggled, rolling around in her seat as she stared at the street lights you drove by.

"You look pretty," She said, sitting up and poking your shoulder.

"Alright Vada, just lay back," You said, focusing your eyes on the road as she poked at your side. Suddenly she let out a gasp as her memory came back to her.