Sober thoughts- Vada Cavell

Word count: 1316

You were sitting in your first-period class as the teacher rambled on about cell mitosis and DNA. You were on the verge of sleep when your phone buzzed, startling you a little. It was your best friend, and longtime crush, Vada.

Vads: hlep

You: what??

Vads: hlep me

You: Vada r u okay?

Vads: nopeeee

You: where r u?

Vads: Strs

Vads: stars

Vads: stairs

You: oh god okay, I'll be right there.

You slipped your phone back into your pocket and raised your hand, faking a cough.

"Yes y/n?" The teacher said, an annoyed tone in his voice at the fact that you had interrupted his lesson.

"May I go to the nurse?" You groaned, putting a sickly frown on your face, hoping he would believe it.

"Fine." He spat. As soon as he spoke you grabbed your bag and ran out of the classroom, heading right for the staircase. It took you less than a minute to get there, and when you did you saw Vada sliding down them on her back, blue ink on her face.

"Vada, what the hell? You whisper yelled, running to her side and sitting her up. Her pupils were blown and she had a confused smile on her face as she smudged around the blue color on her cheek. "What did you take?" You asked, it was obvious that she was high, but the question was on what.

"X..." she smiled, twirling her hair like a flustered schoolgirl.

"You took ecstasy at school?!" She just smiled even wider, a vacant look on her face. "Shit, come on." You said, taking a hold of the girl. You knew Vada hadn't been the same since the shooting, no one had, but you didn't think she would turn to drugs. You dragged her out of the school, somehow avoiding any teachers or students on the way there. As you placed her in your car she grabbed your sleeve, pulling you down to her.

"Thank you," she giggled, playing with your necklace as it shone in the sunlight.

"Uh huh, get buckled." You hissed, shutting the door. You were unamused at the fact that your best friend was high at school, and covered in what must be pen ink. You quickly shut her door and walked around the car, getting in and starting it.

You and Vada had always been close, and then after the shooting, she got really distant and began hanging out with Mia and forgetting about you. You understood that she was just going through some stuff and that maybe she would be herself again, but if she is getting into drugs, it's unlikely.

"I have something to tell you!" She yelled excitedly, pulling you out of your thoughts. "I've been meaning to tell you for like years." She smiled. You honestly did want to know what she meant, but it wasn't fair for you to let her keep talking in her current state, she would probably say something she would end up regretting.

"Just drink this." You hissed, handing her a water bottle from the console of your car. She took it happily and began drinking, not even remembering that she was going to tell you something.

The rest of the car ride was spent in silence, Vada either drinking water or being extremely fascinated with things outside the window. You were trying your hardest to not yell at her for being so stupid to do drugs, but you knew that would just make things worse. And you weren't going to blame her for the way she was coping with things. It's not like you didn't spiral after the shooting. You spent a lot of time just driving around aimlessly and disappearing for days.

"Okay, we are here." You said lightly, turning to Vada, smiling when you realized she was asleep.  You got out and quietly crept around the side of the car, opening her door. "Hey, Vads, we are at my house." You said, nudging her lightly. She woke up, her pupils still dilated and her face and hands a mess. "Let's get you inside and get you cleaned up."

"Okay," she smiled, standing up and using you for support. You pulled her into your house, plopping her on the couch while you grabbed her some more water and some fresh clothes. You set them on the bathroom counter before going back to Vada and pulling her up, dragging her to the bathroom.

"Sit." You commanded, motioning to the side of the tub, but instead, she hopped up and sat on your counter, a playful smile on her face. "Or sit there," you laughed, grabbing a washcloth from the closet. As you ran the washcloth under some warm water and pumped some soap onto it, she kicked off her shoes and discarded her shirt, complaining that she was too hot.

"Come here," you sighed, placing the cloth on her face and beginning to scrub away the blue ink that had stained her cheek and mouth. "What even did this?" You asked.

"Pen." She groaned, sticking her tongue out in a disgusted face, remembering the taste of the ink. You just smiled and giggled at her, continuing to scrub lightly. "It's gross, don't try it." She added, throwing a thumbs down into the air.

"I wasn't planning on it Vads," you smiled, finishing up with her face and moving to clean off her hands.

"I love you," she mumbled, her voice quiet and small.

"I love you too Vada," you continued scrubbing her hands as you spoke. She was your best friend, you guys said these words all of the time, and normally they got to your head because you wanted her to mean them in a different way.

"No," she mumbled. You discarded the washcloth into your tub, knowing you would just have to throw it out later because it was now stained blue. "I love you." She sighed. Your heart stopped beating in your chest, the air around the two of you growing stiff. Even though you knew now how she meant it, you also knew that she was clearly very high and not thinking straight.

"Let's get you to bed." You smiled, trying to ignore the thoughts in your head. She just frowned at you, her eyebrows furrowing.

"Fine," she mumbled, letting you pull her off the counter and drag her to your room. She flopped down onto your bed and quickly buried herself under the covers.

"Just come get me when you wake up." You said quietly, turning the light off and shutting the door with a small click.

***time skip***

It was almost nine hours later when you heard your door open softly and you turned around to see Vada, swimming in one of your huge T-shirts.

"Hey there druggie." You joked, sitting up from the couch so you could see her better. She just rolled her eyes at you and groaned as she opened your fridge, grabbing another bottle of water.

"Haha very fucking funny." She hissed, sitting down on the couch next to you. "And before you ask," she continued, turning to look at you, her brown eyes back to a normal size. "Yes, I remember what I said, and yes, I meant it. I mean, what's that saying? Drunk words are sober thoughts."

You just looked at her with a blank expression on your face, unsure of how to respond. The girl who you had been in love with for almost five years, told you she loves you. How are you supposed to respond?

"Oh." You whispered, the blush on your cheeks expressing your feelings for you.

"Mhm," she smirked, leaning toward you and grabbing your chin, kissing you quickly before you could process what had happened. Then she sat back and grabbed the remote, turning the TV on and pretending nothing had happened.

What the fuck?