Every waking moment- Jenna Ortega

High school au:

Word count: 1437

As you walked down the hallway with your best friend Sam your head darted around the hallway. You were trying to find the best path around all of the other students, just trying to get to your class on time.

"This place is a fucking nightmare," Sam hissed as she grabbed your arm, leading you through a small path in the crowd.

"Yeah tell me about it." You smiled back as you gripped your book in your arms. If the hallways weren't bad enough, you only had a few minutes to get from class to class, so you really did have to hurry.

And just as Sam found the best opening and began to rush through it, it closed, leaving the two of you quickly separated, your body slamming into that of the person who had stepped in front of you.

You stumbled backward quickly, catching your footing before you completely toppled over, your fists clenching to hold on to your things. "Watch where you're going." The boy snapped at you, his words harsh and cold.

You just have him a quick glare before pushing by him and continuing down the hallway, looking for your best friend but not seeing her anywhere. Just then your phone buzzed, your hand reaching in your pocket and pulling it out quickly.

Mom: Don't bother coming home tonight

Your heart stopped quickly, your head reeling as to what she could mean.

You: What? What happened?"

Mom: You couldn't do the one thing I told you to do.

You: Mom, what do you mean??

Tears began to prick at your eyes as you went through the hallway blindly. This treatment from your mother wasn't unusual, but that didn't mean it didn't affect you.

Mom: The sink is still full of dishes, the floor isn't swept, do I have to continue?

A shocked chuckle left your throat. Was she truly keeping you from home just because you forgot to do the chores she had told you to do the night before.

You: I'm sorry mom, I was busy with homework. What do you mean I can't go home?

The small writing under your text went from delivered to read as you pushed into the girls bathroom, the bell over the loudspeaker ringing.

You: Mama?

Again no response, and this time, her words finally hit you. You dare not go home for fear of further punishment, but then what were you left with All you had were the clothes on your back and the things you had brought to school. Which was nothing other than a few notebooks and pencils.

You quickly ducked into a stall as the tears began to fall from your eyes, some of the small droplets landing on your phone screen that still projected your mother's text. And as you exited the chat with your mother, and opened the one with Sam, the larger bathroom door opened, someone stepping inside. You tried to quiet your sniffles, but clearly you were unsuccessful, as a voice spoke quietly.

"You okay?" The girl asked, her voice sounding sweet and quiet as she began to approach your stall. You tried to stay silent and avoid her questions, but she wasn't going to give up easily. "I know you're in there, I can see your feet." She smiled, her tone making a small smile appear on your face. "Come on, open up."

You weren't sure why, but her words were quite convincing, and you slowly undid the lock to the stall. As the metal door swung open, you were met with the most beautiful pair of brown eyes, a sweet looking girl standing in front of you.

"What is someone as gorgeous as you doing crying in a dirty bathroom stall?" She asked sweetly as she leaned against the wall behind her, looking you up and down quickly.

"It was either that or in the middle of the crowded hallway," you joked as you took a few steps forward, squeezing past her and into the main part of the bathroom. "So I chose the dirty stall."

You looked in the mirror quickly, seeing the mascara that was running down your face, your nose red from the small amount of crying you had done. "Come on," she said quickly, walking up right next to you and grabbing a few paper towels. "Let's get you cleaned up.

You looked at her quickly, a confused expression on your face. What was this girl gonna do? And why did she want to do anything? It's not like she knew you, or even needed to bother helping you.

"Sit." She demanded, motioning to the bathroom counter as she ran a paper towel under the cold water. You didn't even need to say anything, the look on your face told you all she needed to know, you weren't just going to listen to her every word. "Are you going to sit? Or are you going to make this difficult?" Her tone was playful yet serious as she smiled.

And finally, you obeyed, hopping up on the counter quickly as she shut off the water. You were expecting her to help you, but what you weren't expecting, was for her to step right between your legs, her elbows resting on your thighs.

"So, you wanna tell me why you were crying?" She asked as she wiped the wet paper towel on your face, your smudged mascara coming with it.

"Not particularly." You responded, your words quick as your breathing became more erratic. You would be lying if you said she wasn't gorgeous, and that her being in such close proximity to you definitely made you nervous. But at this moment in time that's not what you were thinking about, you were thinking of where you were going to sleep tonight.

She stopped her movement, her eyes meeting yours, a look of disappointment behind them. "Are you really going to make me pry it out of you?" She asked, a small smirk on her face. " if I'm going to help you, I at least want to know why you were crying."

"Who said you had to help me?"  You replied, your voice matching her playful tone as you leaned back on your arms. She just rolled her eyes at you and pressed the paper towel back to your face, her weight adjusting farther into you.

"That is a fair point." She responded, the sound of her laughter filling the room. "But seriously, is there anything I can do for you?" Her words made you question everything, why was a stranger so willing to care for you?

"I'm sure I'll be fine." You smiled back, her hand grazing your cheek as she set the paper towel down on the counter. "Plus, it's not like this is the first time I've cried in a dirty bathroom."

She just giggled at your response, her arms still resting on your legs as the she stood there. "Give me your phone." She smiled, reaching her hand out to you, you just furrowed your brow at her.

"Why?" You asked as you began to pull your phone out of your pocket. Even though you were hesitant, you still complied and handed her your phone.

"So if you ever find yourself crying in a dirty bathroom," she started, her fingers moving quickly as she typed in her number and set herself as a contact, "you have someone to call."

She then just set your phone back down on the counter, giving you a small smile before squeezing your leg lightly and walking out, no other words being spoken between the two of you.

And before you you had chance to chase after her, or even think of what you were going to say, your phone buzzed.

Sam: where are you?? Why aren't you in class?

You: Meet me in the bathroom.

And with that you set your phone back down, pairing to tell your best friend what happened between not only you and your mother, but you and the mysterious girl.

***time skip***

As you settle down on Sam's couch, your mind still racing about the fact that you couldn't go home, your phone screen lit up, your heart racing.

Jenna: hey, I just realized I never got your name.

You smiled down at the small screen, seeing the fact that she had set her own contact, her name fitting her personality perfectly

You: Oh, it's y/n.

Jenna: Well y/n, did your day get any better?

And with those words, you realized one simple fact, this girl was going to consume your every waking moment .