Comfort- Vada Cavell

Word count: 1406

***little fluff for you guys***

"Hey baby, you wanna let me in?" Vada called through your door, her silky voice pulling you from your sleep. Your back cracked as you moved for the first time in hours.

"huh?" You grumbled as you turned over, a few soda cans falling onto the floor as you moved. You heard your mother whisper something to Vada before she spoke again.

"Can I come in?" she said sweetly, your brain barely processing her words. You just hummed in response the door creaking open slowly. The light from the hallway blinded you and you turned away, only hearing your girlfriend's small gasp. "Oh, baby."

She surveyed the room in front of her. Covered in dirty laundry and food trash, cans littering every available space. You hadn't answered her messages in a few days and she knew something was wrong.

Your blankets were curled up around you and they were very visibly dirty, your hair matted and greasy. She flicked on the light in your room and ripped your blanket off of you, somehow still being gentle as she did so.

You felt the bed dip a little as she sat, stroking one of her hands through your hair. As you tried to pry your eyes open to look at her, she spoke again.

"Hey love, you wanna do me a favor?" She cooed as she moved some hair behind your ear, cupping your cheek gently. "You wanna hop in the shower? I have a surprise for you."

You just groaned as you tried to snuggle closer to her, missing the feel of her near you. But she stood from your bed, this final action convincing you to open your eyes fully.

"Hi," she smiled as she looked down at you, this is when you finally realized what was going on, and the embarrassment washed over you. You had been quite depressed for the last few months, trying to ignore it and pretend it wasn't happening. But it seems you let yourself feel what you needed to,  and your hygiene clearly represented that.

"Oh, uhm," you began, sitting up from the bed where you had been for days, your shirt sticking to your back. "I'm sorry, I-"

"Hey, hey, it's okay." She reassured as she stood up, grabbing your hand. "Why don't you go hop in the shower?" You just looked around your room, appalled at how gross you were, but unable to care enough to fix it.

"I don't- uhm I don't have any clean clothes." You admitted, continuing to look at your mess. She just nodded as she grabbed your chin, pulling your gaze back onto her.

"That's okay baby, just go take a shower." Her voice was so soothing as she pulled you up from your bed. She handed you a towel that your mother had definitely given to her, and she led you to the bathroom, not giving you a choice but to shower.

She shut the door behind you without another word, leaving you alone like you had been before. You wanted nothing more than to sink back into your bed, but you knew that wasn't an option, so you turned the knob on the shower and waited for the water to warm up.

***time skip***

"Hey y/n, you okay in there?" Vada called through the door, she sounded sort of happy but also tired. You had gotten out of the shower ten minutes before, but you just sat on the floor in your towel, unsure of what to do.

"Yeah, I'm okay." The only clothes you had in reach were the ones you had just taken off, but you knew they were disgustingly dirty. You also knew that your closet was empty, all of your clothes in the laundry basket or strewn across the floor.

"Can I come in?" You debated for a moment about putting your clothes back on but ultimately decided against it because you knew she would make you take another shower.

"Mhm," you answered as you made sure you were covered, feeling more self-conscious than you ever had before. You knew Vada would never judge you, but you had been feeling so down lately that you just gave up on confidence.

She opened the door and immediately knelt down to be with you, handing you the pile of things in her hand. It was clean bra, underwear, and socks, along with a pair of her shorts and one of her baggy hoodies.

You just looked up at her with a small smile on your face, unsure of what to say. She was the only person on this earth who understood you and you were so thankful to have her in your life. She could see you in your lowest moments and still never think any lower of you.

"I love you Vada." You said as you took the clothes out of her arms, setting them on the cold floor next to you. "Thank you."

"Anything for you my girl, I love you." She pressed a soft kiss to your forehead and pushed your hair behind your ears before standing up from the bathroom floor. "I'll be in the kitchen when you're ready."

***time skip***

As you finished sliding the large hoodie over your head you stepped out of the bathroom, glad to be out of the stale air of your room. You heard some clattering from the kitchen and smelled cooking, your stomach grumbling to remind you how hungry you were.

"Vada?" You questioned as you walked out, stuffing your hands in your pockets and sitting at the kitchen counter. The girl was moving about your kitchen, making eggs and toast while also grabbing you some ice water.

Her timing was perfect as she began plating the meal she had made and setting it in front of you along with the water and some pain meds, knowing that you were probably dehydrated with a headache.

"You hungry enough to eat something for me?" She asked as she sat next to you with her own plate, beginning to butter her toast. The truth was, you were in fact very hungry, but the thought of eating made you feel nauseous.

"I'm sorry, I don't think I can." You whispered reluctantly, looking down at the plate of food your girlfriend had prepared. You expected her to be frustrated or even sad, but she was surprisingly understanding.

"I figured it might be a little too much," she smiled, her voice being a bit muffled as she took a bite of toast. "Could you maybe eat some crackers?" You nodded as she slid a sleeve of crackers in front of you, a smile on her face.

"I'm sorry Vada," You whispered as tears struck your eyes. You never wanted her to have to see you like this. And it made it even worse that she was having to take care of you like you were a child.

"No, no, don't apologize baby." She said, turning in her chair and placing her hand on yours. "You have absolutely nothing to be sorry for."

"But I'm so..." you trailed off as you looked down at yourself. You were clean for the first time in two weeks and you couldn't even eat the food she made for you.

"You are perfect, and you are beautiful." She said as she used her other hand to lift your chin, looking deeply into your eyes. "Do you remember how I was, right after the shooting?" As she asked this question you thought back to those days, nodding your head lightly.

"Yeah, I remember," you said as you watched her smile a bit, her dimples making you feel better somehow.

"I was way worse than you are now." She said, rubbing circles on the back of your hand with her thumb. "And did that make you think badly of me?" As soon as she asked this you shook your head.

"No Vada, nothing could make me think badly of you." You answered quickly, her smile softening.

"Exactly, and I could never think badly of you." You nodded quickly as you tried to blink the tears out of your eyes, her thumb never stopping its motion. "Come here." As soon as she spoke those words you fell forward, your arms wrapping around her.

"I love you so much," you breathed as you tried your hardest not to cry.

"Y/n, I love you more than anything in this world."