Broken trust- Tara Carpenter

Word count: 1582

You were sitting on Tara's bed waiting for her to get home, your leg shaking and your eyes tearing up as you waited for anyone to show up. You had just stopped crying twenty minutes before and you were trying your hardest not to start again.

It was a normal day but when you turned on the news that morning images of your sister and Richie flashed onto the screen, the words under them reading "Ghostface strikes again." This shook you deeply. Your sister had been the only person in your life that you had trusted, so when she tried to kill you and all of your friends, you barely survived mentally. 

To think that it was happening again practically broke you down. You knew some people idolized the things your sister had done, but you never expected history to repeat itself yet again, especially in the town you and all of your friends had relocated to.

You didn't have too much time to dwell by yourself because you heard the front door of the apartment open, and all of your friends walking inside. 

"No, we are not leaving." You heard your girlfriend Tara hiss harshly. Upon hearing her voice you walked out of her bedroom, wanting to feel the safety of being by her and all of your friends. "This is our home now Sam."

"But do you really think we are safe?" Sam replied as you walked closer, still halfway down the hallway. You could hear the urgency in her voice that panicked you more. But her next words shattered you. "I mean, do you think we can trust her?" 

Your heart froze as did your footsteps, your body not moving as you continued to listen to what the girl was saying.

"Sam, what the fuck?" Tara spat, clearly just as offended at the question as you were. "I can't believe you would think that." It hurt to know that Sam didn't trust you, and even thought you could be a murderer.

"Is it so hard to believe?" Sam snapped back, her voice growing closer to you, bringing you back into reality and making you realize that you needed to let them know you were there. "Who says she isn't just finishing what her sister started?"

"Is that what you think?" You finally spoke, emerging from the hallway, tears threatening to fall from your eyes. As you looked at Tara and saw how angry she was you couldn't help but feel guilty, even though you hadn't done anything. 

"Y/n," Mindy spoke, your eyes moving to her and Chad. The three of you had always been close seeing as you and Amber were also twins, so after everything, you thought they would have your back, "I think Sam is just being cautious." 

"No." Sam hissed suddenly, your attention going back to her. She was looking at you with a gaze of pure hatred and rage, a look that you had only ever seen from your parents after last year. "I'm serious. How do we know we can trust you?"

"Sam, come on." Chad began "We've known her our whole lives, and she's with Tara." He said softly, standing up for you in the only way he knew how.

"That doesn't mean anything," Sam replied harshly. "You guys knew Amber just as well, and I was with Richie, clearly none of that matters." These words pushed you over the edge. it was one thing to not trust you entirely, but to act like you were as bad as them was going too far.

"Fine. Then we can't trust you either." You said quickly, stepping into the room a bit more and watching as she glared at you again. "I mean I can't be trusted because I'm the sister of a killer, right?" You asked condescendingly.

"Y/n come on," Tara whispered, your gaze flicking to her before you looked back to Sam.

"Well, you're the daughter of a killer, who says you won't snap?" You knew that these words weren't going to help the situation at all, but she had crossed a line. You loved Tara and your friends more than anything, so suggesting that you would harm them hurt you more than it should have.