Chapter 10

Two months. That's how much it takes for me to see all the candidates for my friendship.

Within this two months, I found a lot of important characters on the school. It took a lot of blending in the background and actually interacting with the others.

It was hard. Trying to talk like I am interested at something despite not really knowing what they are talking about is really bothersome, though I found out that if I just smile or nodded to whatever they are saying, they just continue on without really thinking it weird.

Thanks to the people around her, my targets had considerably shrunk. My eyes are now focused onto four students.

One is the little sister of the Princess of Midgar. This is the Second Princess of Midgar, Alexia Midgar. She have the looks, the fame, the wealth, and the potential to be the main character.

Her sister is a lot stronger than her, but I don't see her sister being the protagonist. Her sister, Iris Midgar, is a lot more suited to the rival role, or maybe even the mentor role. I think even becoming the deuteragonist of the series, or a main character of a spinoff is suited for her.

She is that kind of character. The one that I think Alexia will try and surpass after some arc. Maybe even find out some sort of power that will give her a boost.

That's just the first candidate.

The second one is Rose Oriana. She is also a princess but from another country. Her background is already interesting enough, being someone who originated from a country who despises combat and pursues arts of all kinds.

Rose picks the path of the sword, and she is crazy good at it. She is a lot more talented than Alexia.

There are some honorable mentions of course. Claire is one. She have this sense of justice and some talent to go against skilled fighters on this place. There is also Sherry Barnett, who is a very low profile girl, though her talent shines the most that she have invitations coming from the academy city, which is a nation of wisdom on some foreign lands.

I also noticed some others who have the potential, but those four have the most promise.

Now that I know who are my targets, I should go about my action plan.

My first thought is actually trying to befriend them. A lot of girls seems to be doing that so I thought it might be a female mob thing to do. I scrapped that thought when I got a better idea.

To be the quintessential female shadowbroker, I need to be a part of the background too. How to become a part of the background as a girl?

Why, by being part of the crowd themselves!

I won't get close to the candidates. That will make me become known, and it will be bad. No, the better idea is to be a faceless mob along with the others.

A male mob mostly thrives when they are with their niche of mob friends. A female mob is different. They acquire their greatest potential as a mob when they are in a group.

It is why, currently...

"Alexia-sama is here!~"

"Wooooooow!~ She looks so pretty!~ "

"Mhm~"

As you can see, I am among these gaggle of girls who is gushing the princess at the distance with praises. Looking at her with our rose-tinted eyes.

Right. I have decided to be a part of her fanclub.

People will usually say that only boys admires a beautiful girl, and girls admires handsome boys. The truth is girls are also attracted with their own gender. That is also the case for the boys.

If your popular, any gender will admire or like you. That's just the natural state of the world.

And if it's admiration for the same sex, that admiration becomes stronger.

I don't know the exact reason, but maybe it's because they can relate a lot more if it's the same gender as them?

Anyway, each popular girls in this school have their own fanclub. The biggest fanclub on the current school year is the Alexia Fanclub and the Rose Fanclub.

So if I am from the Alexia Fanclub, does that mean I chose Alexia to be the main character? Of course not!

I am part of both fanclubs!

Is that bad? Well no one will know because I'm just a nameless unremarkable mob at the sea of crowds in the background!

I easily managed to enter their fanclub by just asking, and acting as if I really admire them easily put me as a permanent member.

Now I have all the info I would need to learn more about that!

_______________________________________

I lie.

I actually don't have enough info about them. I might know that they are popular and have a lot of potential in them, but I still haven't seen any supporting characters for them. I also want to see the potential villains that they will fight. I'm sure some of their colleagues will fit on those criterias.

So in the middle of the night, I am talking to one of my subordinates while my back is turned on them. Standing besides the window and looking at the night skies while acting as if I am brooding.

"... So you want to investigate everyone associated with these people?"

It seems like Alpha is the current one on the rotation today. Well she is still sticking with our plot and she takes care of me so I really don't mind.

"Mhm... they are important for the future."

"... Forgive me if I'm being rude, but can you tell me the reason why them?"

Is she being skeptical?

Well, maybe she didn't want those girls to see us doing our plays like this. I'm sure Alpha have a normal life somewhere now, and that means she didn't want others to see what she does. Mostly if it's these high profile people. It might be embarrassing for her.

I should give a reason to her, while still sounding mysterious enough. Can't break character now while we're playing like this.

"I have seen it. The potential hiding beneath their soul." I heard her gasps at my words. "They will be useful for our plans." I simply leave it at that.

"... I understand. Then we will immediately investigate everyone around them!"

I'm glad she is playing along. I'm sure she understands where I'm coming from.

A shadowbroker without an audience is just so sad. We need heroes and last bosses to truly shine as a hidden power in the background.

I hope they find someone and get an appropriate setting for us. I'm sure Alpha and the others can do it. They are smart like that.

A/N

If you have fun in my story, and you'd like to support me, then you can go to my Kofi account.

Ko-fi.com/levelgap

Thank you for reading this!~