Chapter 54

Whoops, she saw me. Good thing that princess didn't have a sharp sense. I managed to leave before they can react fully.

It is now night time and most of the people on the streets are still the holy knights patrolling the city. My eyes trailed on one of the section of this city, the one that can be considered the central plaza.

I can see a lot of headless body there, and heads being lined up in a circular manner. It's there since this morning, and I read the sign plastered there. They seem to call them Shadow Garden members.

Though, personally I only see men in there. There is practically no females in that brutal scene.

This is what happens when a religious manhunt is this aggressive. Even innocent people will be considered as suspicious ones.

Hooray for the medieval times!

I am somewhat glad that Alpha and the others aren't there. It will be bad if I lost anyone who can play along with me.

As for me? I'm not scared! What kind of Power in the Shadow am I if I'm already scared of some religious inquisition?

I only have a single plan, and that is to join that war. I'm just waiting for them to raid the church, and then I'll go along. I don't want Alpha to tell my parents that I'm here, so I will be doing this in this disguise.

While they are gone, I will continue investigating everything I can, so I will look like I know anything. It's also good. It's like the time when I was still in my old world, where I always draw the whole section of a building when I'm planning to infiltrate it at night. It's an experiment and also a training to see if I can sneak around a building without being noticed.

That memory is very nostalgic that I can't help but compare it to what I'm doing.

It is why I even prepared another item for me, made from my slime suit of course.

"It is not yet time...." I felt like saying things like that, before jumping out of the rooftop.

Instead of landing on the ground, I spread the black article I made with the slime, and let it expand due to the air, slowing my descent on the other side of the building.

Yep, I made a glider. It's cool so why not!

It's also one of the things I wanted to do while infiltrating a city secretly. I'll have to check my bucket list later!

While my glider is still spread, I landed on the roof and jumped once more. Now I can enjoy going around the city in a slow descent. It actually felt exciting.

"Wooohooooo!"

What? Out of character? No one's looking anyway, so whatever!

*Scene Break*

".... I don't know if I'm losing my mind or I really saw a weird floating woman slowly descending on the night skies..." Alexia muttered as she nurses her head, before looking up once more.

Seeing that there is no one there anymore makes her sigh.

"Right.... I'm becoming crazy...."

She decided to sleep it off once more.

*Scene Break*

Outside the Holy City, on a forest just near it. There is a hidden basement that is being used as an outpost for the Shadow Garden members.

Within the confines of the building, on a room that can be called a meeting room, all the girls are looking very down as they silently sit on their chairs.

"...."

"...."

"Gunununu.... I'm hungry!"

The only one who seems to be unperturbed on this atmosphere is the dog theriantrope who has purple eyes.

The other people present on the room turned to her with varying expressions of deadpan glare, or just sad ones. Alpha is the one who sighs before waving her hand.

"Okay, then do as you wish."

The dog theriantrope, and one of the Seven Shades, Delta, quickly jumped up with an excited expression.

"Yay! I'll get to hunting a big one then!"

With those parting words, she quickly leave the room. Now only Alpha, Beta, Epsilon, and some of the elite members of Shadow Garden remains.

"Lady Alpha..." Beta called out with a sad tone.

"I know...." She said before sighing. "Our Lady made her displeasure known... we shouldn't go along with this..."

"... Then, are we just going to let the Cult hunt everyone and let it happen!?" Epsilon said, looking indignant.

".... If it's what the Lady wants..."

They can see the blonde elf looking incredibly lifeless as she says that. Her head lowered as she seems to look somewhere beyond.

"I.... please excuse me..." Beta simply left the room. Looking incredibly unwilling.

Epsilon also silently left the room, along with Nu who just bowed her head at Alpha.

Now it is only Alpha who is left in this room. A single tear occuring on her eyes after all of them are gone.

"...." She can't help but blame herself for her own decisions.

She felt that she must have done something wrong. It might be because she is planning to sacrifice some of them just to destroy the sanctuary sealing one of the arms of Diablos. Though she didn't know what else to do!

If they can't even do that, what else could they do?

They have already blundered on infiltrating the church. Even innocents are being killed because of their blunder. Even if Alpha told herself that she will do anything to achieve her mistress' goal, she can't help but feel incredibly guilty causing something like this to a lot of people.

But it can't be denied. Her mistress is incredibly displeased with the conclusion she got. Now even she left them, losing her grace due to her foolishness.

"Lady Shadow.... no, Arisa-sama... please tell me what to do..."

No one answered her...