Chapter 18

'When will I see you smile again?'

It's a passing thought but she can't help but think that as she follows her beloved lady in the middle of the night. Standing besides her as her lady looks down on the city, seemingly scouring for their enemies.

"Tonight, the shadows will rule the encroaching darkness! Tonight is the end of their putrid reign!"

Along with Alpha, five of the Shades are also here along with hundreds of their Numbers. She can see them on some key points of the city. They are intentionally placed there as their targets are within those buildings.

She glances at her beloved lady's profile and saw the coldness and resolved hidden within her melancholic gaze. Her exposed lower face is still in that perpetual line as if she have lost her own emotions.

"Alpha." She immediately perks up and stood up straight at the call of her lady. "I leave the rest to you." She simply says that before quietly vanishing on the night.

Even the way she fell to the roof and just vanish like dust is so impeccable. It's so transcendental, yet she does it as casually as breathing.

"Understood."

Of course, she have to respond with her expectations. Even if she is not going to follow on their plans, it is fine. They have to be flexible when it comes to her.

They are actually planning to strike all the bases of the Cult at the same time, not letting them recover. It is to ensure that they can get important intel about the cult.

They still didn't have enough info about them. The few cultists that they managed to apprehend barely scratches the surface. With answers, they only get more questions in return.

They have been preparing for this operation for a few months now. Making sure to locate as many of them as they can, and even waiting for an opportune time. It is on this day when most of them wasn't expecting their raid.

She is thinking to let Shadow watch as they destroy the cult in this capital, and hopefully not make her move. They wanted to show that they too are capable and that she shouldn't try and take all the burden to herself.

Then maybe, she will actually confide with them about her trouble. She is hoping that they can finally stand by her side.

Though it seems like her beloved lady thought otherwise. She have asked for the rescue of some noble, and even dared to ask for the death of the knights interrogating her. She is a bit confounded at that time, though her confusion was quickly answered after thinking about it for a bit.

If she was willing to attack the Knight Order, then that would mean the Cult have a grasp on the military force themselves.

Just by that, she can only bow her head at the great insight that their lady have. Though she also felt so sad to learn that they missed something that seems so obvious.

'Next time...'

She swears upon herself to become more better.

As she is doing that, she felt the familiar presence of the child appearing besides her.

"I'm done, Big Sister Alpha!~" Juniper said that rather cheerfully.