He's got it bad

Kyler Hayes

We watched as Curtis talked to Carly. We looked at each other, smirked and nodded, yep he's got it bad.

If Carly didn't notice at was either blind, dumb or disinterested. They were deep in conversation talking about her mother's time at the camp and how she was put through her paces by our fathers including hers, which understandably was a sore spot for her I can't blame her. We've all heard the stories swarming around here about Corporal Stevens and Hope Evans her mother. We are entirely sure what is true and what is bullshit cause the only people who know the truth are those involved.

Bulldog and I don't go on hearsay if we did our fathers would have us strung up by the balls or worse shot in them for being disrespectful to a formers child and we'd be reminded if it weren't for that certain person we wouldn't be here now and this place would be closed down rotting away.

"So how does it feel being here Carly?"

"Strange, but a good stranger."

Curtis beams a megawatt smile, yep definitely has it bad. "How do you feel walking in your mother's footsteps?"

She looks at him and smiles genuinely. "I want to name her so proud. I want to make them proud of me. I want to prove to them I can do this and become a better person through it all."

His smile grew wider. "And I'm sure you will. Maybe one day you'll take over from her."

She shadowed a smile saying that she'd never thought of it before but could consider it at some time down the line. "Maybe."

When I took over from Lieutenant Hayes it was an honour, he'd taught me so much about myself and how to treat others. The most important lesson he ever taught me was to go with my gut instincts and not with loyalty because it cost him one of the most important people in his life, the one person that treated him more than his comrades."

"And who was that?"

He gulped. "Your mother."

She nodded. "I'll try and remember that."

We all knew what had gone down sixteen years ago. Our fathers had regretted not being man enough to open up and tell Hope what was going on behind her back. Some were still strung upon it; like Sergeant Major Seth Hollingway.

"Next month you and the rest of the campers here will get to meet the other kids like you from the other camp where you'll meet Ethan Hollingway; Seth's illegitimate son."

She gulped, nodding.

She'd have to be a tough cookie with that one, he was like hiding danger in so many ways, apart from the fact that he knew who she was he'd hold a grudge against her for just being Hope's daughter.

His father had made a point of making Hope the bee all and end-all of their conversations. He'd seated for Ethan's mother because he couldn't have Hope. After all, she was in love with her stepbrother and he made sure they both knew about it.

"What's he like?"

We all gulped at this point. "A bad apple. Just say he's got a big chip on his shoulder. Called his father. You'll understand more when you meet him."

She nodded. "I'll turn the other way and walk. I don't want to get into trouble while I'm here."

"You won't Carly, we'll be there for you I promise. It'll be him in the dog house we promise."

I looked at Bulldog Jr. He looked nervously. I understand why we'd be up against them Ethan and that shit was as dirty as they came. He'd eat Carly for breakfast if she wasn't careful.

Curtis threw his arm over her shoulders. We rolled our eyes. This guy had it bad. He wasn't a big flirt like us but he was when he was trying to impress a girl which wasn't very often and right now he was pulling everything out to do so. "Don't worry Carl's. We are all here and he won't try anything he knows better not to."

She looked taken back by his brassiness. She lifted an eyebrow and said nothing she knew alright.

"Let's get some grub before it's all gone."

"Thank god I'm starving."

We all cracked a smile and all burst out laughing.

"You'll be the death of us Carl's."

She grinned. "Glad to be of service."

Where did this girl come from?

We all smiled, I guess we were all thinking the same thing: she was one of a kind and for the life of us couldn't think why she was being bullied.