I'm sorry

Sergeant Hollingway

Things haven't been adding up and for the love of god I hope I'm wrong about this. Charlie has always been the laid back one, the child that hides in the backyard, the silent one. Then Carly came along and boom he had spoken to someone other than his family for the first time in years. We all know he's been struggling at school with school work and making friends.

He's somewhat of a kindred spirit, one on his own that was until Carly and she'd brought him out of his shyness and his skin. She'd understood him like no one else ever could. If this has something to do with him it won't only be me that's disappointed in him it will be Carly too. She's been the friend he's always needed, the glue to stitch him back together. If Ethan has pulled him into this I will have no other choice than to punish him. He is better than that; he doesn't know everything that went on with Carly's mother and Ethan's; he only knows enough to be pulled in by a vengeful teen who thinks it's everyone's fault but his own.

My brother loved Hope but she chose Joshua and he had to accept that. He also had to accept that he had a child from a one night stand. I don't agree with the way my brother treats Ethan or his mother but it's not my place to intervene. Last time I tried I ended up with several broken bones. He warned me never to interfere ever again or it would be worse.

I've tried so hard to understand my brother and his obsession for Hope Evans. He has everything I wish I had but he would rather ruin something special for smithing that is just an illusion. Hope is happily married and has two kids and yet Ethan and his mother still bear the brunt of his bitterness, but there was no need to bring in a girl that isn't involved in this bullshit. But that's Ethan for you he'll blame everyone especially one who won't fight back. Though, I think he's met his match with Carly Evans. She's a lot stronger than he thinks she is or anyone gives her credit for.

The knock on my office door brings me out of my thoughts. "It's open."

The door creaks as it opens Damn thing needs oiling. A shaggy haired teenager walks with his head bowed.

"You know the rules charley head up stand straight and to attention"

He nods, bringing his head up, straightening himself up and clicks his heels together. "You wanted to see me Sergeant?"

"Yes I do. I would like to ask you a few questions about what happened in the relay race yesterday."

He gulps and nods.

"And I want the truth Charlie, no lies. I don't like liars. Are we clear?"

"Yes Sergeant."

"I'd like you to tell me exactly what happened from your perspective."

He gulped hard. "Carly and I were doing good and I got cramp and she offered to wait for me."

"But she didn't, did she?"

He shook his head.

"Answer yes or no Charlie, a shake of your head doesn't tell me anything."

"No sir. "

"Why didn't she stay with you? You all know our Moro of not leaving anyone behind. So what made this any different?"

"It didn't sir I convinced her I'd catch her up."

"But you didn't, did you?"

"No."

"Why was that?"

"I couldn't find her, Sergeant. I assumed she wasn't that far ahead."

"But she wasn't Charlie. So tel like this where did you fit into their plan to kidnap Carly so Ethan could use his torture twtctics to question her?"

"I don't know what you're talking about Sergeant?" He swallowed hard again.