Old School

Carly

Damn him who the hell did he think he was? The guy was so damn old school. He was definitely not like any Sergeant I had met oh wait he was that prick Seth Hollingway. I didn't mean any bad towards Caspian, but his brother was a complete fuck tard. Who the hell was this guy anyway? He surely wasn't the same age as Casapian. They may have served together but Casapian was more level headed and down to earth than this snider guy. I was told to dress how I felt most comfortable and the kids would feel more comfortable around me and eventually begin start talking to me and opening up but I had a long way to go before I even got to that stage the counsellor talked about edging me into it slowly after Christmas cause my tutors would want to see how I was doing and if there was anything I could do to improve myself as a trainee counsellor and this pleb thought he could change me just like that. What utter bullshite.

"Hey Carls, are you okay?"

I looked at Jonathan and smiled weakly. "Who crawled up his ass and died?" I asked.

"Who?"

"I think she means the new Sergeant, Jonathan."

He rolled his eyes.

"I take it didn't go well?"

I snorted. "The guy is so damn old school guys. He thinks I'm back in school and I have to wear a goddamn uniform."

They both sniggered.

"It's not funny guys. I was told to be myself and the kids would slowly but surely come around and start opening up to me now, this. He wants me to be someone I'm not."

"Then prove to him you're not taking shit from him."

"I don't have a death wish, Jonathan." I said angrily. "Have you seen that scar on his face? It's scary as fuck and I really don't want to find out where it came from."

They chuckled like they were enjoying my misery. "Talk to counsellor Armstrong. I'm sure she'll be only too happy to help Carls."

"Why did Seth have to go." I mumbled.

Later that day I went to the office after I left Jonathan and Kyler as they had training I usually trained on a Friday. I walked into the office and Myra Armstrong smiled at me. "How are you today Miss Evans?"

"Good." I mumbled.

"You're clearly not, you left early Friday and there's been talk and I'm not one for talk but Sergeant Hollingway left the day after and we had a new Sergeant on the camp."

"Have you seen him?"

"I have."

"Have you met the man?"

"Briefly. He's not Sergant Holingway, that's for sure."

"No shi."

She gave me a glare.

"He definitely isn't, he's so old school."

She nodded in agreement. "So I take it you and Sergeant Snider had a brief conversation."

"Yeah, very briefly he thinks I should dress differently and be more professional."

Her lips stretched into a thin line. "I see. And what do you think you should wear Miss Evans?"

"I was told to be myself so I and."

She nods. "Then be yourself."

"But I don't want to get into any sh.. trouble.."

"I understand that Miss Evans but we do things differently here than where Sergant Snider comes from we like to make the kids feel as relaxed as we possibly can do they form a bond and a trust with us so they can talk easily to us lmwoin* we won't go back to the hierarchy. I'll talk to Sergeant Snider until then wear what you have on today and change into something more "professional" to keep the peace until this is sorted."

"Thank you Mrs Armstrong."

She smiles. "No worries sweetie shall we see who we've got today and you can sit in and take notes . You'll have a whole file on each of the kids here once you begin in a few months." She chuckles.

No shit I want to say but I just nod and follow her to the chill out room where she conducts most of her sessions in hope they will make the kids she sees here more comfortable in a more comfortable place than her office which is kinda drab.

Once the day is finally over I head to my cabin. I'm here until Sunday and I'll be heading home so I can get a change of clothes then. I hope I don't bump into that Snider fellow he creeps me out. And not in a good way.

"Argh Miss Evans I see you didn't take my advice?"

Fuck.

"I'm sorry to disappoint you Sergeant but I don't carry around a second set of clothes that scream back to school with me."

He grins at my sarcastic come back. "I see I have my work cut out with you."

"I guess you do. I'll make sure to tell my mom and dad what a bad gut life has been with the big bad Sergeant." I said, smirking. "You do that and tell them I don't appreciate you not following casual clothing guidelines."

I almost rolled my eyes. I'm not working in a goddamn office. I blew my hair off my face. "For your information Mr Old School Sergeant. I'm heading home at the weekend and getting my so-called "casual clothing"." I abbreviated.

His grin widened. "Gald to head, but i'll leave to punish you for wearing your not so casual wear."

My face fell and my jaw almost dropped to the floor like what the hell, how old did he think I was? Twelve. He's gotta be kidding me right?

"Tomorrow here at six hundred hours we do the course and if you by any chance win the course I'll stay off you back until Monday."

"And if I don't?"

He grinned widely. O oh I don't like that look it's the look I get when Kaden has a plan that goes drastically wrong. "Well Miss Evans if I out run you you have to be here at six hundred hours every day that you're here and I'll put you through your paces and when I say you won't know what's hit you it's an understatement Miss Evans do we have a deal?"

"I can't be here that early, my dad brings me here."

He grins evilly. "Well then Miss Evans I'll just have to pick you up at four hundred hours or the night before, do we have a deal?"

I sigh. "You have a deal."

"Excelect. We'll meet here at six hundred hours tomorrow morning I'll let one of the sergeants know what's going on and they can time us so no one cheats sound good?"

"Perfect."

He smiles widely. "I'll leave you to go to your cabin to change before supper."

"Sure."

"Be there Miss Evans or the next punishment will be even harsher."

"Sergeant." I said coldly walking away.

What the actual fuck?

I slammed my door shut who the hell does he think he is and where the hell does he think we are? We're not in training for the goddamn army were here to help kids who are like I once was and he's making this int of fucking brutal army training centre.

I hate my life.