Chapter 13: Little one

Natasha sighed heavily in frustration as she tried to soothe the unhappy child, “Come on Wanda please baby…”

She had discovered very early that Wanda was a nocturnal toddler much to her chagrin. She walked backwards and forwards bouncing her lightly in her arms, tapping her bum in the soothing fashion which was usually so effective. Natasha glanced at the clock on the wall seeing the 2am mocking her. Teenage and toddler Wanda both shared the inability to sleep at night.

A light knocking on her door, disturbed her from her thoughts. A tired looking Steve was leaning against the doorway.

“I’m so sorry Steve, I just need to settle her down.”

Rogers reached behind his back and retrieved the bottle he had made. Natasha exhaled in relief, he gestured for her to hand over the baby. She willingly handing her over. Steve carried the toddler over to her bed, and cradled her lightly, holding the bottle to her lips. She accepted it eagerly and started chugging the warm liquid down.

“I am really sorry Steve; she just won’t sleep….”

Steve shook his head, “Don’t worry Nat.”

She looked forlornly at him, “I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.”

“You aren’t doing anything wrong, Babies can be challenging,” he replied diplomatically.

She watched as Wanda’s eyes were starting to close, as her drinking got slower, and she was more suckling the bottle. Once he was sure she had nodded off, he lowered her gently into the crib, that Tony had moved into her room.

Steve smiled at the woman, “see, out cold.”

He turned to leave the room.

“Steve?”

“yeah Nat?”

“Would you stay please?”

“Of course.”

He returned to the bed, and lay down in the bed. Natasha just rested her head on his chest. She let the soothing sound of his heartbeat lull her to sleep.

………………………

Natasha was awoken to the sound of happy babbling. Her eyes opened against her will. She slowly roused herself from her slumber. Natasha noticed in relief that Steve was still asleep. She slowly got to her feet, and lumbered over to to crib where Wanda was standing waiting for her.

Natasha reached in and plucked the girl out of her confinement. She smiled and laughed in response.

“Morning sweetheart.”

Wanda just babbled happily in response. She gently laid her on the bed, unbuttoning her onesie in order to change her. she seemed to enjoy the freedom kicking her chubby legs slightly. She opened up the front and blew raspberries on the delighted baby’s exposed stomach. This garnered even more giggles from the excited baby.

“You are going to be so embarrassed about this when you are big again. Yes, you are,” Natasha said in playful tone, tapping the baby on the nose to emphasis the point. Wanda just went to grab her finger. Natasha continued her task quickly removing the old wet diaper, cleaning her up and replacing it with a clean one.