Chapter 49: Reality Bites

Natasha tossed and turned in the bed, the sweat poured down her face. She gasped for air as she started to thrash around. Wanda leant over and tentatively put a hand out to touch Natasha, “Mama?”

Natasha reacted instinctively throwing her arm towards the attacker, Wanda dodged it in her half asleep state. She backed off the bed and shouted towards the door, “Aunty Yelena! Matt!”

Yelena burst into the room, and quickly surveyed the scene. “Wanda leave now.”

“What’s going on?” Asked a panicked Wanda. “I’m not leaving.”

“Wanda out now,” stated Yelena firmly.

Wanda crossed her arms in annoyance, “No.”

Yelena narrowed her eyes at the teenager, “this is not the time Wanda. Go to Matt or your uncle.”

Wanda pursed her lips standing off with Yelena, as Natasha thrashed on the bed. She stood there in silence , the only noise the gasping breathy sounds coming from Natasha.

Yelena shook her head, “Little girl, get out of this room right now. I know how your mama punishes you, don’t think I won’t do the same.”

Wanda blushed at the admonishment, but slumped slightly, “I just want to help…”

“You can help by leaving, Natasha wouldn’t want you to see her like this,” explained Yelena her tone lighter than it was previously. Wanda sighed but left the room, once the door was shut. Yelena jumped into action, she quickly started rummaging through all the drawers in the small room. Frustration marred her face as she couldn’t find what she knew was hidden somewhere. Yelena eventually thrust her hand up to the top of the drawer and then felt the cool metal under her fingertips. She smiled to herself and the fact she knew her sister so well. She wrenched the taped handcuffs of the wooden unit. Yelena grabbed Natasha’s arm firmly attached the cuff and the other end to the bed. The metal had an instant calming effect as Natasha relaxed into her bed. Yelena sighed and stroked her face gently, “You can take the girl out of the red room.”

“Yelena,” came the whimper.

“Hey Nat, you having a rough night?”

Natasha turned her head in disorientation, eventually remembering where she was. She bolted upright, “where’s Wanda?”

“It’s ok Natty, I kicked her out before I…” her eyes moved up indicating to the cuffs. Natasha’s face burned with shame, “I haven’t needed them in a long time…..”

“I know that,” replied Yelena in comfort, “But we all still need it sometime.”

Natasha sighed, as she relaxed back into bed. “I guess all the trips down memory lane may have…” She didn’t finish the sentence there was no need with their shared history.

“You want some help with that?” Asked Yelena gesturing back towards the cuff. Natasha snorted, “I could get myself out of handcuffs since I was 5.”

Yelena laughed, “yeah, yeah, yeah the great Natasha Romanoff always ahead of everyone else.”

Natasha escaped from the cuff and sat up cross-legged on the bed, “how did you get Wanda to leave willingly? I know my kid she is a stubborn shit.”