Chapter 34: O Tannenbaum

Wanda was cold. No that was wrong, she was freezing. She found it ironic considering she had lived on the streets in Sokovia for all those years, yet now she was cold. Wanda berated herself for going soft. She shoved the hat down further to cover her ears, and exhaled in annoyance. Wanda could see her breath in the air and shook her head in frustration turning angrily to Steve and Peter. “Could you two just make a a decision??!”

Wanda rubbed her hands together to try and create some friction. Natasha reached into her pocket and pulled out a pair of gloves and held them out towards the teenager, “I told you, you would want these?”

Wanda snatched them from her, “Well I didn’t think it would take this long! I mean how much of a decision is this.”

Steve glanced back to her, “this is a key decision, if we get this wrong. it will ruin everything.”

Peter nodded along in agreement, as he continued to peruse the selection in front of him, reaching out a hand to thoroughly examine his options.

Wanda stomped her foot in frustration, “I don’t understand this stupid American tradition.”

Natasha grabbed Wanda’s arm gently and pulled her towards her, “technically it’s European.”

Wanda relaxed into her arms. Natasha continued to speak, “also we are doing this for Peter and you. It will be nice I promise.”

Natasha turned back towards the two men, “Wanda’s cold, can we hurry this up a bit?”

Peter looked at her incredulously, “we can’t rush this. It has to be perfect…”

Steve shouted from a few metres down, “Peter, I think this is the one.” He rushed over to join the solider.

“Finally!” muttered an exasperated Wanda. Natasha playfully kissed her head, “Stop being a grinch you.” She then pulled the hat over her eyes.

“Mama!” groaned Wanda. Natasha laughed as she pulled away from the teenager, and then strode over to the two males, her boots crunching on the icy ground.

“This is the one,” stated an excited Peter. Wanda pulled the hat up uncovering her eyes, and cocked her head to the side, as she glanced at the one that Peter was excitedly pointing towards.

She looked thoughtful before finally exclaiming, “It looks exactly the same as the other 100 trees that are here….”

“No…” complained a smiling Steve, “look at that shape. This is the one.”

Natasha just laughed at the pair of them, “just agree Wanda if you want to go home any time today.”

“I still don’t see why we couldn’t just buy an artificial tree,” replied Wanda.

“Stop being a humbug,” joked Steve. “Real trees are better. Smell that, that smell is Christmas. I will convert you, when it’s all dressed in the living room you will love it.”

“Wait…Does that mean we have to buy decorations as well?”

Peter just smiled excitedly at the adults, “Yes! Can we go get them now?”

“We need to get the tree first Peter, and potentially get Wanda a coffee..”

“I vote yes on the coffee,” Wanda replied putting her hand into the air as if to vote.