Chapter 25: In Sickness and In Health

Wanda sat on the arm chair away from the other three on the sofa. She kept discreetly looking up from her book and watching as Natasha ran her hands through Peter's brown hair. She turned back to her book, to continue to read Holden Caulfield's random diatribe about "Phonys."

Steve looked up from his place on the sofa, "How are you finding the book?'

"It's good," replied Wanda shortly.

Natasha decided to attempt to join the conversation, "What do you think of the narrative?"

"I like his version of events," stated Wanda not looking up from the books.

Natasha sat up from her prone position on the sofa, "You understand that his perception of the events are not actually correct or right."

Wanda shook her head, "perception can't be wrong. Perception is reality."

Steve sat up at that comment, "You know better than most that's not true, your powers allow you to change someone's perception."

"Exactly," replied Wanda, still keeping her nose in the book. Steve looked nervously at Natasha. She gently nudged Peter into Steve's arm, the boy lolled asleep into the man. "I'm going to take him to bed."

Steve lifted Peter into his arms and carried him up the stairs. Natasha stood up and approached the teenage girl in the armchair. She ran her eyes over her and noticed her tense posture. She was not relaxed, she could see her muscles shaking slightly in strain.

"You ok Wanda?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," she shut her book with a flourish, "As Peter has already gone to bed, is it ok if I go to bed now?"

Wanda was exhausted, keeping up the facade up being ok was getting increasingly taxing. Her head was spinning.

Natasha crouched down in front of the teenager, "Why don't you come and sit with me for a bit?"

She reached out to touch Wanda's hand, but she dropped it to her lap to avoid the contact. Wanda diverted her head down to avoid the hurt expression on Natasha's face.

"Sweetheart, What's going on?"

Wanda just shook her head, Natasha stood up from her crouched position in front of the witch. "Ok Baby."

She then leaned over and placed a kiss to Wanda's forehead, with her position on the armchair there was no credible way for Wanda to avoid the contact.

Natasha pulled away in shock. The heat emanating from the teenager was incredible. Natasha sat on the arm of the chair, and rested her hand on the back of Wanda's forehead. Steve took the moment to reappear in the room. Natasha turned to him sternly, "Steve can you go get the thermometer out of our bathroom?"

"The ear one?"

Natasha nodded, "Yes that one."

She turned her attention back to the teenager, "Wanda why didn't you tell us you were feeling sick?"

"I'm fine Mama, just a cold," replied Wanda.

"You are a furnace Wanda," stated Natasha in annoyance. "You should have told us."

Steve returned with the box and handed it to Natasha. She opened up the sealed box, and pulled out the contraption. Wanda looked at it with trepidation, "you are not putting that near me."

"I need to take your temperature Wanda. I either take it here or I'll take you to the hospital for a Doctor to do it."

Wanda crossed her arms across her chest, "That's an empty threat, you won't risk exposing us."

Can't Ask, Don't Need, Won't Acknowledge  On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara