Chapter 28: The Party

Wanda felt the guilt in her stomach growing, on a level she knew that using her powers to manipulate those around her was wrong. She had been so preoccupied with achieving her goal that the methodology had not bothered her. Now she had achieved that goal the way she had done it was now affecting her deeply.

She adored Steve and felt incredibly guilty while she knew she had barely used her powers and it was more her human skills that had convinced him. Wanda still felt that reverberating guilt thrumming through her body. She sat in front of her mirror in her bedroom trying to apply her makeup as her right hand shook.

A knock on the door made her drop her eyeliner to the floor, she swore under her breath in annoyance. Natasha opened the door, and poked her head around the door, “You ok Malyshka?”

She took in the nervous uptight posture of her child. Natasha walked into the bedroom and picked up the dropped eyeliner, “Look at me.”

Wanda turned to face Natasha, “close your eyes.”

Natasha gently started applying the eyeliner, “Why are you so anxious little one?”

“Just nervous,” she replied keeping her eyes shut. “I know you don’t want us to go.”

Natasha sighed, “I want you to be happy. You are right it makes me nervous but that’s my problem not yours.”

“I’m sorry I asked Steve rather than you,” said Wanda quietly.

“I understand why you did Wanda, but I promise you I will be more open in the future.”

If anything Natasha’s statement just made Wanda feel more sick to her stomach. Her guilt was now like fireworks going off in her stomach.

“There all done, you look beautiful Wanda. Any one in particular you are looking to catch the eye of tonight?”

Wanda blushed under the question as she opened her eyes, “No, not really.”

She felt awful lying to Natasha, but knew the Vision situation would not be well received.

“Ok so remember home by 11, text us every hour, and no alcohol,” reminded Natasha.

“Yeah I got it Mama,” replied Wanda tightly.

‘Ok, Peter is waiting for you downstairs…”

……………………………………………………….

The noise was emanating from the house, they could hear it from the street. Wanda grasped Peter’s hand tightly, “You ok Wands?”

“Yeah of course,” replied Wanda tensely.

“We don’t have to go you know. We can just go to the cinema or something?” stated Peter gently.

Wanda stiffened and stood up straighter, “No, I can do this.”

Peter glanced back at the nervous teenager, “We need a code word, you say it and I know that you want to leave.”

Wanda looked thoughtful, “Let’s go with Liverpool.”

“Ok,’ replied Peter warmly, “let’s go cousin.”