Chapter Thirty-Nine: Songs Worth Singing

Jerome sat, loathing and wallowing in his own pain and misery.

From the room over, Sky and Ty sat together. Ty was singing softly, easing Jerome and Sky both. Even though Jerome had to sit against the wall to hear it.

"Stars and Moons and Air Balloons, Fluffy Clouds to the horizon. I'll wrap you in rainbows and rock you to sleep again."

Jerome was almost asleep while leaning against the wall, breathing softly with his eyes closed. His memories stayed at the back of his mind as he opened his eyes.

He knew something was wrong when he heard Ty stop singing and a soft sound of struggle. Jerome didnt have the power to stand and say anything including telling someone to stop. He heard voices, heard footsteps, he felt breathing against the back of his neck. He felt hands swiping his shoulders, and happy cheers of accomplishment.

When he was finally up to his feet, the singing started up again.

"Stars and Moons and Air Balloons." Jerome heard some strain in Ty's voice, like he was struggling to speak. "Fluffy clouds to the horizon."

Jerome knew the next line, and said it to himself along with Ty. "I'll wrap you in rainbows and rock you to sleep again."

Jerome jumped at the scream in the voice of the only other male that sat in the room behind him, and the struggle in another soft and careful voice.

"I'm sorry, Sky."