Chapter 75: A Quiet Homecoming

"I wish we could've helped him out more, you know?"

"How many times does everyone have to tell you that the best we can do is take care of the lower-level demons with the poison we have."

"And let's not forget, we only have so much poison, so once we run out, we're out, both in terms of poison supply and out of the fight."

"I know, you guys told me enough times for me to know exactly what's scripted. But that doesn't mean I can ignore the feeling that there's something we can do to help him."

"Not on the battlefield," Shinso said. "Trust me, I get it. The feeling of guilt in the pit of your stomach that you get for not helping out and leaving it all to him, I feel it all the time. I'm pretty sure the ones who went to Endeavor's Agency for work-study felt the same way, maybe even Endeavor himself."

"He did, he was much happier than he looked when he got his hands on the Wisteria Poison," Todoroki confirmed.

"I was too, I could finally do something for him after the help in Otheon," Midoriya replied.

"Of course you felt like that," Bakugo grumbled.

"Yeah, but Shinso... I might be overstepping here, but I've been meaning to ask... uhhh..." Midoriya stammered.

"Ask your question Midoriya and I'll see if I can answer it," Shinso stated.

"Well, I have multiple questions, but I'll save most of them for when we get back to the dorms," Midoriya admitted.

"How gracious of you," Shinso mumbled.

"Anyways, how did Kaminari's dad... become a demon? And an Uppermoon too? All Might researched all the Uppermoons before and Upper Six wasn't his dad, so he had to have become an Uppermoon in about two months' time... right?" Midoriya asked.

"That was technically three questions with a little context but okay," Shinso remarked. "Anyways, you're correct about the last bit, he did become an Uppermoon in about two months, which I agree is a bit insane. How he became a demon is simple, he ran into Muzan and he turned his dad into a demon. Simple."

"That's not what I meant," Midoriya said. "But considering the direct and literal answer I'm gonna guess you want Kaminari to answer it himself?"

"Unless his father wants to pitch in and share himself, damn right," Shinso said.

"I did meet Kibutsuji, so you got that right," Mr. Kaminari said.

"That's the only way you become a demon, other than having it as a quirk that is," Todoroki said.

"What's up with that? My son's quirk was said to be Electrification, how could it be anything more?" Mr. Kaminari asked.

"We can explain the specifics when we get back to UA, not just about that, but everything this guy's been up to," Shinso said, looking behind him at the sleeping Denki on his back.

Denki had his arms slung over Shinso's shoulders and his legs wrapped around his boyfriend's waist, which was held up by Shinso to give him some support. His head rested on Shinso's left shoulder, his face showing the exhaustion he's been hiding for days now. Shinso looked at his boyfriend's relaxed face, seeing him sleep as peacefully as he could while getting a piggyback ride back to UA. He grinned slightly at his lover's face, glad that he was resting and taking time for himself again. But most of all, he was glad to be in the same area as him again and have the ability to physically talk to him, not just text him occasionally through a phone screen.

Shigeru Kaminari watched how Shinso looked at his son, how he carried Denki on his back, and how he respected his privacy. He thought about the conversation with his wife- which he thought he imagined when he woke up. But seeing how his son interacted with the taller indigo-haired teenager, he could tell the conversation was real, as he could see what she was talking about now. He always dreamed of meeting Denki's girlfriend at some point, wondering what kind of personality or looks he loved. He didn't think his son would fall for a boy, not that he was upset about it, he was just surprised as his son never expressed anything about falling for a guy before. He would treat Shinso the same as he would've treated a girl when any significant other would've been introduced: observe his actions and interactions with his son.