Running For My Afterlife

When his eyes opened for the first time, he was running. So hard and so fast he didn't seem to take another breath as his feet pounded on the floor, his muscles were sore and painful, he could almost feel his feet being worn to the bone while he sped through the darkness. But he knew why he kept going.

It was here, somewhere, he had to find it before they found him, without any bearings on his direction or how long he had been chased, he just had to hope that what he had seen was real and not just a hallucination again.

He was close, he was sure he must have travelled the right way, this was his one shot, he couldn't fail now, he had to go the right way, if he was wrong about the light over the horizon, it would cost him everything.

The darkness was illuminated a little, he remembered seeing it in the distance, thinking that it was a way out, his method of escape, he ran towards it. The only salvation, the light in a world of darkness.

This was the finals stretch, he needed to stay awake this time. He had to escape while he had the chance. He had to remember, he had to remember why. He needed to remember the voice, his only instruction, "Run!"

If they caught him again it was over. If they caught him again, they would bind him so tightly that he'd never escape. This was his only chance, he knew that, but his head was still so fuzzy, he barely remembered what he was searching for. No! He needed to remember!

Whenever he lost consciousness for the moments he pushed his body too far, he found himself looking down on himself, hovering over his own shoulder, as if someone else was watching him, they examined him mid sprint, but his head shot up of his own accord when he came to the cliff.

The rock beneath him was a dense black stone, he skidded to a halt just in time, almost tumbling down a sheer drop, he could see stalagmites below, easily a hundred-foot drop, the bottom of the cavern covered with a thick mist. He heard the monsters swarming behind him.

A hundred different voices, each more sinister then the last, hissing and shouting as they searched, "Find it. FIND IT!" One of the louder ones screeched, in a voice that wasn't English, but something else that he instantly understood regardless.

His immediate gut instinct was to jump, to dive off this cliff without a care, but something stopped him, a twist in his gut that told him that wasn't possible, he would fail to do what he envisioned. The boy knew he only had one hope.

He didn't know if there was another force looking down on him, but he felt eyes on him, it could have just been his own paranoia, but on the off chance that there was someone who could see him, he pleaded desperately, "Help me."

His voice was course and his mouth dry, like he had been denied water for weeks. "Please help me." Only the person watching over him didn't respond, the world around him did. The stone beneath his bare feet cracked, fear found its way into his body for the first time, and he gasped in shock.

The floor gave way, the cliff crumbled, and he fell with it, the drop was a long one, he had enough time for one thought to cross his mind. This was the moment he would wake up, the moment this nightmare would end, after all, when you fall suddenly in a dream, you wake up right?

He wished that was the case. But he never found himself in a position to be that lucky. His impact with the spiked and rough ground was a sudden one, an excruciatingly painful sudden second, but his eyes opened once more, with a gasp of breath, he shot up. Not pondering how he was able to survive the hundred-foot fall. He had bigger worries.

The first thing that his vision focused on as he turned onto his back were the figures appearing over the ridge to snarl and hiss down at him, hundreds of disfigured humanoids and much worse creatures. With eyes ranging from blood red to completely hollow. He didn't realize how close to capture he was.