Mourning the Exploding Pizza

(Y/N)'s POV

As he sat there, watching Annabeth caper off to what might have been her death, she took his breath with her. Watching the back of her head disappear into the distance almost brought tears to his eyes.

The thought, the concept that there was a chance, even a one in a million, chance that that would be the last time he saw her, was so painful his ears began to ring. He collapsed back into his chair.

He wished he had said a hundred more things to her, he wished he had told her about his dream, and the warning he was given, he wanted her to confide in him what she feared was behind all this.

He wanted to tell her who he thought his puppet master was, and why everyone was so afraid of them, he wanted her to tell him that he was being ridiculous. Because he would have believed it then.

She had been gone for mere minutes, but he found himself craving to hear the sound of her voice, it was the strangest thing. He never really realized just how much he relied on her until she was gone.

With her not here, he felt stagnant, as if all he could do now was wait for her to return. It was far from healthy, he knew that, but the thought of her not being with him was more hurtful than the thought of her not returning.

Whereas one felt as though it was an off chance, a fear prickling the back of his mind, the other was just a reality he had to face. He felt as though he couldn't make a move without her, that to do so would be disrespectful or something.

It was because he didn't want to move on without her. It felt odd, like going into battle not wearing your chest plate. He felt like he was exposed to the world. Worst of all he feared that the person behind the curtain knew that.

He wondered if they would capitalize on the weakness, the chink in his armour usually kept safe by Annabeth being there. That thought scared him, part of him imagined that he would have sat in this silly little shop by the Tiber for years waiting for her to return.

Wait. Why am I already thinking about her like she'd dead? "Oizys if this is you, I swear to the gods-" He began, only to be collided into. The feeling that was coiling around his heart began to relent.

"Percy?" He said, looking at the son of Poseidon in confusion, as his friend caught his breath. "Where's Annabeth." He asked breathlessly. "We need her where is she?" "Left for her quest, why? What's going on?" 

Percy let out a frustrated yell, then looked at (Y/N), "Has anything attacked you yet?" "What? No." "Then you might be our answer." "What's that supposed to-" 'BOOM!' (Y/N) got the answer to his question before he finished asking it, as Annabeth's half eaten food exploded, and not into an eruption of food, into a fireball.

That was his first thought, that somehow food was now his enemy. Until a second fireball hit him in the back of the head, which to be honest, was not as painful as you would think. It felt like he had held a hairdryer to his head too long, "Ow!" He said, rubbing the back of his neck instinctively, not thinking about turning to see who his aggressor was.

Not that he would have got the chance anyway, because Percy tackled him from his chair as a third fireball turned it into a bubbling mess. "We gotta go!" Percy insisted, pulling him up and breaking off into a sprint of his own.

As much as (Y/N) wanted to wait for Annabeth's return, the decision was made for him when he saw what was chasing his friend, and when he saw that it wasn't alone. The two of them took off running. Not looking back. Until Percy remembered something.

"Wait! Grab the pizza!" Percy said, scrambling back to rescue the food, managing to pick up a singular slice before the table turned into splinters, blown apart by a fireball. As it blew up into smithereens (Y/N) shouted "What did you do!"