Ignoring the Blast Radius

Annabeth's POV

When it began, everything made sense, falling into place like a huge puzzle. Her questions for the fates all answered, her curiosity had been sated, her questions answered, but she still hated them for it.

As the three women smiled at her, like they longed to see her, like it was a game they were playing, she had to hold herself back from lashing out. If she had known what they were planning on showing her, she would have.

The fates handed the two of them something each, a cut piece of yarn, Zoe gasped, "This cannot mean..." She paused, then looked to the fates angrily, "This shall not mean-" But a swell of magic silenced her before she knew the fate of Percy, or could threaten any more gods.

As the green mist overtook both her and Zoe, neither of them moved, part of it was shock, part of it recognition, Annabeth had only ever seen something like this a few times before, from an Oracle of Delphi.

But this was nothing like that, at least not at first, the magic washed over them both like a tidal wave, the three gods each joined hands to conjure it forth, and Annabeth had to wonder why they brought her all this way for this.

It was a memory she never wanted to experience, a day in her life so bleak that she kept in buried deep down, if memories of it ever resurfaced it was painful, she was sure they knew it, that was why she was so upset at the fates for showing this again.

It started with the shroud, they never found a body, he was just...gone one day, a few hours after his last message to her. Annabeth was content to keep searching for a body forever, she wanted proof, absolute undeniable proof, but after a while, Chiron insisted that they needed a shroud. It was his wish after all.

Even as Chiron showed her the signed document giving it the go ahead. She refused, she didn't want to accept it. He offered for her to make the shroud, perhaps thinking it would help keep her occupied, but she would never, she could never, Percy was the same, content to keep searching, but the task was delegated without them.

She could tell Chiron felt the same, she could tell he didn't want to do this, but felt like it was his duty. So this time, the Aphrodite, Hypnos, and Nemesis cabins collaborated. The final result was stunning.

Part of her wished it wasn't, that it was dull enough for her to forget, but they had all tried very hard to make it memorable. As much as she wished they hadn't.

Golden threads danced along a pitch black silk fabric, dusted with a silver glitter that shone like stars, literally enchanted to glow and move, telling a story along the whole thing. His story, etched in gold, the fabric was the finest she had ever seen, tracing his story from the moment he had attacked Zeus to defeating Nyx. It was like a kick in the teeth.

Even back then she didn't want to be involved, she was in the denial phase at the time, and wanted nothing to do with the world without him, she didn't want to cement it in fact with something like this. Chiron had insisted.

Before it, they had argued for days, after it, they hadn't spoken for weeks. But on the day, they had put all of the anger aside to mourn together, as had the whole camp. Every cabin was emptied, every activity ceased. He would have found it boring.

They had asked her to speak, but she couldn't. It was too painful, and too intense. So Percy had done it. It was an excellent speech, about how (Y/N) had made them all happy, about how he taught Percy to be a hero, how he had sacrificed so much for them, as well as some anecdotes, but Annabeth could barely listen.

For some reason, she only had one thing on her mind, she scanned the faces of the crowds. Grover looking frozen with grief, like he might faint, her cried so much plants formed at his hooves. Juniper tried to comfort him through her own tears.