Catching Up On Olympian Gossip

(Y/N)'s POV

"So, we're agreed that Hedge must have fallen asleep watching action movies right?" (Y/N) said, Annabeth frowned at him, "I really don't want to think about Gleeson right now." She said as she rested her head on his shoulder. His arm around her.

"If you insist." He sighed. The two of them had been talking about Annabeth's interaction with her mother, the mark of Athena, turning against New Rome, and what it could mean for them. Since their warning from Hedge they were cautious to keep their voices down.

"I wish I could go with you tomorrow." He lamented as they sat together at the end of Annabeth's bed, "Why?" She asked, he just shook his head, not knowing why. The moment he was told about the ghost, he felt the urge to meet it.

After telling her this he also revealed another reason, "I feel like I never spend time with you guys, sure Hazel was there when we met Echo, and Piper stopped the possessions, but I have barely said a word to them that wasn't an order or a threat."

"Are you worried they'll hate you?" Annabeth asked, he nudged her, teasing, "Well, I am now." Annabeth rolled over to face him and scowled, before falling backwards into her bed, shaking her head. 

"(Y/N), you need to relax, nobody on the ship hates you, and whatever happens with your prophecy, we'll handle it." She said, no longer wanting to talk as her body must have finally realized just how tired it was.

He laid back with her but scoffed in derision, "What?" She yawned, "I just find it funny how you can say that to me with a straight face." She grumbled, "Not now." and then wrapped her arms around him.

(Y/N) always felt tense in situations like these, not just because of obvious reasons, beautiful girlfriend, late at night, yeah who cares, he was more concerned with killing her. He didn't know if one night his powers would grow stronger and she would die.

Typical boyfriend stuff, he imagined. He was sure most boys his age had to deal with the possibility of draining their significant other's soul from them in their sleep as they dreamt of food and more sleep.

Almost the entire night had dwindled away by the time Annabeth finally dozed off, (Y/N) found himself unable to. Not just for fear of hurting her, for another reason, one he couldn't quite grasp entirely.

Not sleeping wasn't unexpected for him, he had gone nearly a week without sleep when in the Labyrinth alone. He had spent countless nights awake in his youth, it was normal for him, but not like this.

He fully expected to hear a voice, a warning, but just like before, nothing came. He wasn't met with Gaea's taunts, or anything. In fact the night was almost entirely silent, he was just sat with his thoughts.

He tried for what may have been anywhere between ten minutes and four hours to get to sleep, with a brain like (Y/N)'s it was hard to tell. Something didn't feel quite right. It wasn't that he couldn't sleep, he found himself drifting off a few times, it was like his body didn't want him to.

Any time he got comfortable, and found himself closing his eyes, his body would jolt as if he were falling Any demigod worth their salt would have been able to determine what that meant. Danger. His instincts were telling him that he was in danger, that if he fell asleep now, it would be a big mistake.

In the middle of a quiet night, with the danger in the city behind them, (Y/N) could only think of one cause. He left a sleeping Annabeth in her bed, and as slowly and quietly as he could, he was alone on the deck of the ship. Hoping he was being paranoid.

All he could hear was the howl of the night air and the slow mechanical workings of the ship, mostly muffled by magic. Foolish as it may have been, he didn't bring a weapon. After all, fighting her here would have killed all of them.