Having a Final Heart to Heart

(Y/N)'s POV

As he held the scythe in his hands, he told himself that he had to be fast enough, as he raced through the air, he remembered back in the cemetery, the scythe showing him Hazel, he remembered the fear that she would die.

He thought perhaps this was the reason, perhaps the scythe was much like his father, it knew how bad this could have ended. Maybe it was trying to warn him, to prepare him for this.

As the golden weapon flashed through the air like a beam of light, (Y/N) knew it only had one target. The shadow wanted to hurt him, kill him, so it knew who to target, it knew who (Y/N) would protect.

It wasn't a choice between one friend or another, (Y/N) acted on instinct. He felt the scent of death in the air, and just reacted, like last time. Hazel didn't even have time to react. (Y/N) shielded her, remembering his promise to Nico.

As it impacted, his mind wandered, to the collapsing corridors within the Talos replica he once fought. He remembered the feeling of failure that was still with him, and told himself, not this time.

He held onto the spear, trying to slow it even a fraction, but it made very little difference, all he could do was grit his teeth as the weapon pierced through him and his father's scythe fell to the icy floor.

Frank's POV

The scythe fell with a 'Clank' against the ice. In the moment, for some reason that was lost to him, Frank could only focus on that fact, he never would have expected the scythe of death itself to make such a noise, or any at all. But it went 'Clank.'

Everything around him seemed to be drowned out by the noise, as he saw the scythe clatter to the ground. Looking back, it was probably because the noise was something he could understand and make sense of.

Whereas everything else around him seemed to be moving far too fast, but crawling along incredibly slow at the same time. Like the moment was fleeting, but felt as though it went on for an eternity.

The shock of Percy diving off a cliff, knowing he may drown, the thought of Hazel coming that close to death, and the sight of (Y/N) stood in front of her as she was thrown from Arion, with a spear through his chest, was far too much for Frank to handle at once.

However, the manic eternal fleeting moment didn't end there, as fresh blood flicked onto Frank's face. He finally looked at the scene before him, he was frozen in place as he heard his friend scream in pain.

He felt like a glacier himself as he watched the whole landscape change, shattered by a scream of anger so chilling Frank feared his heart may have stopped. Wind kicked up around him that was so cold Frank instinctively put his hand to his pocket to protect his flame.

Cold wind was just the beginning. Darkness enveloped the world around them, it was as if someone had decided it was night and blotted out the sun. It was like all the color was drained from the world.

Harsh, cold winds were slamming into Frank so hard that it stung, but he still remained immobile as he watched something that both horrified and impressed him deeply. He watched as (Y/N) began to pull the spear free of himself.

You'd think after the incident with Gwen, nothing would have surprised him, but seeing this was like watching a force of nature, he was entranced, and a little queasy, as he watched (Y/N) pull the now crimson red spear from his own chest.

"RAAAHH!" (Y/N) screamed with a final burst of effort as his whole body turned grey, Frank didn't know magic very well, but enough to recognize it. (Y/N) began to heal once the spear as free of him, but not enough.

(Y/N) fell to one knee as Hazel rushed to his side, "(Y/N)!" she said, (Y/N) glanced at her for a second, and Frank took note of the smile on his face seeing her safe. "Not again..." He said weakly. "Never again."