Arguing in a Flower Crown

Percy's POV

Percy wasn't scared of ghosts, which was lucky. Half the people in camp were dead. Shimmering purple warriors stood outside the armory, polishing ethereal swords. Others hung out in front of the barracks.

A ghostly boy chased a ghostly dog down the street. And at the stables, a big glowing red dude with the head of a wolf guarded a herd of... Were those unicorns? None of the campers paid the ghosts much attention.

But as Percy's entourage walked by, with Reyna in the lead and Frank and Hazel on either side, and (Y/N) walking behind them, all the spirits stopped what they were doing and stared at Percy. A few looked angry. The little boy ghost shrieked something like "Greggus!" and turned invisible.

Percy wished he could turn invisible too. After weeks on his own, all this attention made him uneasy. He stayed between Hazel and Frank and tried to look inconspicuous. "Don't worry bout it gills, they just get nervous with first timers...especially ones like us."

"Like us?" Percy asked, "What do you mean by that?" (Y/N) suddenly froze, like he had made a mistake. "Should not have said that...should not have said that..." Then, completely ignoring the question, he walked up to jog beside Reyna, who was walking with purpose.

"Am I coming to the meeting with the teddy bear terror?" He asked, Reyna nodded, "First, you will answer my personal questions." "But I thought I was meant to be training the second today?" He asked, Reyna scowled at him, "Well clearly, this takes priority, someone else may fill in for you."

"Who?" He asked innocently, "I don't know...Larry." She said, clearly frustrated by his question. "Over my dead body! Give me a few minutes" He said, as he ran off in a random direction, "(Y/N)! I did not...dismiss you." She called after him, but might as well have been shouting into the sea.

She rubbed her temples like she was nursing a headache, all while walking. Percy tried not to laugh, something about that guy seemed comforting to him. Though he couldn't place why he was the only person around here to give him that feeling.

He was almost comforted, until he saw a few more ghost's glaring at him, "Am I seeing things?" he asked. "Or are those—" "Ghosts?" Hazel turned. She had startling eyes, like fourteen-karat gold. "They're Lares. House gods."

"House gods," Percy said. "Like...smaller than real gods, but larger than apartment gods?" "They're ancestral spirits," Frank explained. He'd removed his helmet, revealing a babyish face that didn't go with his military haircut or his big burly frame.

He looked like a toddler who'd taken steroids and joined the Marines. "The Lares are kind of like mascots," he continued. "Mostly they're harmless, but I've never seen them so agitated...well, there was the incident with the portal. But they seemed weirdly happy about that..."

"Frank. Quiet." Reyna commanded, he nodded. "Sorry." "They're staring at me," Percy said. "That ghost kid called me Greggus. My name isn't Greg." "Graecus," Hazel said. "Once you've been here awhile, you'll start understanding Latin."

"Demigods have a natural sense for it. Graecus means Greek." "Is that bad?" Percy asked. Frank cleared his throat, waiting to see if Reyna objected before saying. "Maybe not. You've got that type of complexion, the dark hair and all."

"Maybe they think you're actually Greek. (Y/N) got the same treatment for a day or two, but then he did some sort of weird-" Hazel shot him a glance, and he quickly changed the subject, while also avoiding Reyna's death glare. "Is your family from there?"

"Don't know. Like I said, my memory is gone." "Or maybe..." Frank hesitated. "What?" Percy asked. "Probably nothing," Frank said. "Romans and Greeks have an old rivalry. Sometimes Romans use graecus as an insult for someone who's an outsider—an enemy. I wouldn't worry about it."