Rumbling on a Rooftop

Annabeth's POV

"Ready to head off?" She asked, tying her knife to her belt a little tighter and running inventory on their supplies. Zoe took a deep breath and wiped her eyes, standing up from the rock she was perched on.

She cracked her neck, flexed her fingers and hitting the rock she had been sat on moments before so hard in sank another two inches into the dirt, before picking up her bow and nodding, ready for their departure. 

"Would it be foolish of me to say I was born ready?" She asked, Annabeth just smirked and swung her rucksack over her shoulder. But the closer the two of them got to leaving the camp, the more dejected Zoe looked.

Trying to give her a few more moments to decide if she really wanted to do this, Annabeth sat down on the hill, where they would depart from, and pulled out her Laptop, which she had decided was worth the risk of taking with them.

She had marked out everywhere they were seen in the past few years, from her accounts from Percy, Luke, and (Y/N), and silently prayed to Athena that they weren't confined on Olympus. She needed answers only they could give.

"Do you really think this will work, that they will tell us where he is if we find them?" Zoe said out of concern, Annabeth shook her head, truthfully, it didn't matter. "No idea. But we're going to try anyway."

"This is a shot in the dark Annabeth, perhaps we should not be wasting time on ventures such as this one that may not be fruitful. We could instead focus inward and look into a search effort spanning the grounds, supported by the whole camp."

"What, like we have for the past few days?" Annabeth snapped, noting that they had combed through the woods, checking every crevice and under every rock, even the old Labyrinth entrance and the Myrmekes hive.

The two of them locked eyes, the frustration already evident. "Shots in the dark are all we have left. With Jason on his quest, we can't just sit around." Zoe nodded, but again, the second Jason, Piper or Leo were mentioned, she fought desperately to change the subject.

"This dream you had, and these visions you were shown, do you know who deemed to sow you them." Annabeth shook her head and repeated a phrase that had become very familiar to her in the last few days.

"No, but I have a few theories." "Care to elaborate?" Zoe said, her eyes scanning the forest our of habit, even from here. "Well, at first I thought it was Hera, but with all her power used to give Piper her vision, it's unlikely."

"So..." Zoe prompted, hoping that Annabeth would reveal her prime suspect, but she just said "So, we need to hurry up and find Percy before things get even worse." She closed her laptop and stood up.

Annabeth understood Zoe knew something, maybe Chiron did too, it had something to do with the prophecy, and the strange occurrences in camp, but whatever it was, it had become taboo to even mention.

As she had told Jason, she had her suspicions, the same with Clovis. It was part of the reason she wanted Zoe with her, to be honest, the ex-huntress wasn't very good at keeping secrets, and once she spilled, Annabeth knew she would be closer to figuring this out.

Annabeth also knew how Zoe worked better than the others, she knew how to push the girls buttons, Zoe got frustrated easily, and Annabeth knew, as cruel as it sounded, the more she withheld information from the daughter of Artemis, the faster she would cave.

"I can't sit around any more Zoe, finding Percy is important, I can feel it, it's all leading to something big, and I wouldn't be a child of Athena if I didn't try to solve the mystery before anyone else right?" She added with a casual tone so Zoe wasn't suspicions of her true intentions.