Waking Up to Smell The Coffee

Annabeth's POV

She walked along the street, using the needle like a divining rod of sorts, following the way it moved, she was sure she looked crazy to any passer-by, but Zoe was all for this course of action.

She didn't know what she was looking for, and not just in the sense that she didn't know if she could really find the fates, no, it had taken the long walk to get here for her to wonder, "What am I getting out of this?"

Why had she come here? Was she searching for Percy? Searching for answers? Helping (Y/N) somehow? These reasons behind her action all seemed wrong in some ways, right in others.

At first, she was sure she had tasked Zoe to come with her for information, but information on what really? It didn't make sense, and the more she seemed to search for an answer the less clear any became.

She walked closer and closer to finding her answer, the grip she had on the needle was loose, and let it sort of roll in her hand so that she could follow it's direction. But the closer she got, the more worried she felt.

She had betrayed Zoe, she had lied to Chiron, she had practically abandoned looking for Percy, and for what? To chase after her dreams? It sounded so harsh, so unlike her. Was she this desperate to know what Chiron was hiding?

She was going towards something, that was clear, her mother wouldn't have risked contacting her otherwise, but was it what Annabeth wanted, or something else? Would it help them find Percy? Or figure out Jason?

She began to doubt herself, and her thoughts were on a downward spiral until Zoe ask her, "Why are you still using that? Our pace does not require it." Annabeth looked down and only just noticed she was still skating along, even at  walking pace.

"Just in case we have to get somewhere fast." She reasoned, thankful she was quick at thinking on her feet. In truth she kept it because the sound was comforting to her, she hadn't even really realised she was using it.

"Can you please explain this to me again." Zoe asked. Clearly to keep Annabeth focused. "You weren't meant to have that vision, I was, because I had this thing, you need both to find them, an idea of where they've been, and an idea of where they're going to be...I hope."

"But surely the fates must have accounted for this mistake. So why would it even happen?" Zoe asked, Annabeth shrugged, "Guess we'll ask them." The needle began to vibrate a little harder, "Here?" "Nope." Zoe said.

"What does it look like to you?" Annabeth asked Zoe, "Like I said, I see them, but between that is a sort of mist, a smoke, leading away." That told Annabeth nothing useful. So they kept walking, circling back.

They didn't make progress until the sun had fully set, and her legs were so sore that they shook, they had circled half a city and found their way back to the beginning of their search. Zoe remained in high spirits the whole time, "They are close this time, I can feel it!" She said to raise morale.

"Yeah, I think you probably can," Annabeth said, moments after hearing the familiar sounds of clacking needles, and turning around to see three old woman, a few yards away from where their car was 'parked' and cops were investigating, they sat at a bus station, staring at them.

Annabeth walked towards them unsteadily, part of her wasn't sure if she was really seeing this, but once she looked at Zoe, who nodded, she knew they were here in the flesh, so she reached forward and held out the needle they found.

The middle sister took it from her, and smiled. Their expression was clear, "What took you so long?" If Annabeth wasn't so happy to see them, she would have been nervous, the glint in their eyes wasn't exactly a kind one.