A Demonstration of Greek Weaponry

Annabeth's POV

Annabeth wanted to hate New Rome. But as an aspiring architect, she couldn't help admiring the terraced gardens, the fountains and temples, the winding cobblestone streets and gleaming white villas.

After the Titan War last summer, she'd gotten her dream job of redesigning the palaces of Mount Olympus. Now, walking through this miniature city, she kept thinking, I should have made a dome like that. I love the way those columns lead into that courtyard.

Whoever designed New Rome had clearly poured a lot of time and love into the project. "We have the best architects and builders in the world," Reyna said, as if reading her thoughts.

"Rome always did, in the ancient times. Many demigods stay on to live here after their time in the legion. They go to our university. They settle down to raise families. Percy and (Y/N) both seemed interested in this fact."

Annabeth wondered what that meant. She must have scowled more fiercely than she realized, because Reyna laughed. "You're a warrior, all right," the praetor said. "You've got fire in your eyes." "Sorry."

Annabeth tried to tone down the glare. Zoe, however, did not, "Why is it you have pulled us aside?" She asked, her tone venomous, but Reyna acted as though the tone of Zoe's voice didn't bother her at all.

"In time, I promise." She said, and then turned her head to Annabeth, "There is no need to apologize, I'm the daughter of Bellona." "Roman goddess of war?" Reyna nodded. She turned and whistled like she was hailing a cab.

A moment later, two metal dogs raced toward them—automaton greyhounds, one silver and one gold. They brushed against Reyna's legs and regarded Annabeth with glistening ruby eyes. "My pets," Reyna explained. "Aurum and Argentum. You don't mind if they walk with us?"

Again, Annabeth got the feeling it wasn't really a request. She noted that the greyhounds had teeth like steel arrowheads. Maybe weapons weren't allowed inside the city, but Reyna's pets could still tear her to pieces if they chose.

Annabeth looked at Zoe, who she noted had not removed her enchanted circlet. Besides that, there was the fact she was literally being shadowed, Annabeth relaxed as she remembered she wasn't as defenseless against the dogs as she thought. "After you."

Reyna led them to an outdoor café, where the waiter clearly knew her. He smiled and handed her a to-go cup, then offered one to Annabeth and Zoe. "Would you like some?" Reyna asked. "They make wonderful hot chocolate. Not really a Roman drink—"

"But chocolate is universal," Annabeth said. "Exactly." It was a warm June afternoon, but Annabeth accepted the cup with thanks. Zoe did not partake, explaining that she was having some trouble with her nerves right now, and it was best not to chance it. Annabeth agreed.

(Y/N)'s POV

Going on a tour with Octavian was about as fun as you could imagine, the auger was hardly the best or most invested guest on the Argo II. Even as Leo led them to the vessel, he complained about having to be escorted by the 'enemy.'

"Beware Greeks bearing gifts-" He would mutter, as an olive branch of sorts, (Y/N) tried to be friendly towards the augur. "Oh, don't worry Octavian." He said cheerfully, "If I see any big wooden horses with giggling coming from it, I'll let you know."

"That was how they invaded Troy, not Rome you twit." Octavian said harshly, (Y/N) sighed, "It's called a joke, you tw-" (Y/N)!" Suddenly he was tackled from behind, something wrapping around his shoulders and neck.

"Mornin' Jules." He said, patting the child's head as she grinned toothily, peeking over his head, "Hello Octavian" She said, "Hello Julia. What brings you here?" He said curtly in reply. She shrugged, "Wanted to see the boat."