Finally Reclaiming our Hearts

Annabeth's POV

For the briefest of moments, she wondered if she was dreaming again. She considered pinching herself, but she knew this wasn't a dream when he looked at her, she could never explain it, there was something in his eyes she recognized that no dream could ever capture.

She knew Greek heroes lived tragic lives, that the gods and fates both always interfered with their happiness in some way or other, and that this was par for the course, heartbreak, loss and suffering. But this was cruel, this was sadistic.

Two feelings gripped her, the first was a tightness in her chest, a pull on her heart that she couldn't seem to hold back, it was like her heart was an erupting volcano, almost painful with how hot it burned. The second was harder to figure out, closest to confusion if anything.

Her whole body erupted in a tingling sensation, and her breath caught, it was like fog had lifted from her eyes, as he looked up at her, she struggled to process what was right in front of her. He said something, but she was so transfixed that she barely heard it.

All her dreams came back to her, every time she had thought she had seen him, all those looks from the people closest to her, the looks of pity, and all the visions she had, the prophecy she had uncovered, it all flashed past her mind, but all of it was insignificant.

She remembered all the time she spent thinking that she would never see him again, part of her was relieved that she was wrong, another part of her felt like now her emotions, her experience of mourning him was cheapened.

A few days ago, she wanted this moment, and for a long time before that too, she begged for the moment their eyes would meet again, but now it had happened, now it was real, she couldn't have the response she imagined in her head.

When she first set out on her journey, trying to find answers from Zoe and Chiron about the secrets they were keeping, even she wasn't truly sure what her endgame had been, now it was in front of her, staring at her with those eyes, and part of her panicked

It was a tearful reunion, but not the one she thought up whenever she needed to cope with reality, loving, happy and peaceful. No, Annabeth felt too hurt for that, there was too much pain for that response to be her first. Her emotions flipped on their head.

The moment overwhelmed her, maybe it was the fact there was a literal army marching up the hill at that very moment, maybe the suddenness of it all overtook her, it was like a kick to the chest.

She suddenly felt breathless. It was one of the first times since she was a kid that Annabeth ever felt like she was overwhelmed by the information she was given. She didn't want to be here, staring at him.

She needed time to process, time to breathe, she didn't know exactly why she was finding that hard right now, there were too many emotions at once, relief, anger, fear, exhaustion, longing and desperation all pulling her in separate directions.

She needed to act on one. But each seemed so strong, so tempting in their own right, she sort of shut down, as her body took over and her mind processed what had happened. That being said...maybe she could have handled it a little bit more maturely.

(Y/N)'s POV

There were very few people who could silence (Y/N) with just their eyes, and among that short list, none even came close to Annabeth, as she stared down at him with her storm grey eyes, he could hardly breathe, and speech seemed like a distant memory.

Everything he had planned to say, every built up emotion, every story, every apology and every excuse he could have formed in the moments leading up to this one left him in the wake of her stare.