Burning Away Any Doubts

(Y/N)'s POV

Walking away from the three demigods on their quest was harder than (Y/N) thought it would have been, yes, they had attacked him, but the moment he saw them, he couldn't help but feel a sense of responsibility over them.

He couldn't explain it really, there was an unspoken feeling that they brought to the surface, something that the three of them shared, but also something unique about them all. It made him want to help them, no matter what.

Leo was an interesting case, not only was his metal dragon super cool, but there was something like a kinship between them, the moment the boy had first spoken to him, and (Y/N) looked into his eyes, he recognized someone similar to himself.

Piper was easier for him to explain, first of all, she was family, but second off, there was something so endearing about her, trying her best to help her friends during a fight, and that same fire in her eyes that one of (Y/N)'s friends once had.

Finally, Jason, who he felt a kinship with that stemmed from seeing and recognizing the brand on his arm, but there were other aspects that went more than skin deep, so to speak, a familiarity to the boy's face (Y/N) couldn't put his finger on.

Though the more he thought about the three of them, the less he seemed to remember, it didn't make any sense but the more he tried to make connections about the three of them, and remember them as best he could, the hazier their memory became.

His mind would wander, and he would begin to think of other things, other faces, other people, sons of Hephaestus, daughters of Aphrodite, children of Zeus, and then, what were once a collection of memories were now a jumble of confused feelings.

In a way, it was the perfect way to suppress his memories, a way to let him remember everything and nothing, his thoughts would repeat themselves, even if he didn't really remember that they were repeated.

It's like walking into a room and forgetting what you came in it for. It was simple and devious. Like it was dangling the truth on a string in front of his face, but never letting him grab hold. Only some key things remained untarnished.

That's the beauty of it, it's so simple, but it was really smart, he can't ask anyone for help with it, because he never remembers that it's an issue he could fix. He could never stop it, because it would always make him feel like it had always been there.

He wanted to help them, he knew it was important. But the wolf queen told him to trust his instincts, and his instincts were leading him in another direction, there was something he had to do, he had to get it out.

In a way, it was the cruelest spell that could have enthralled him, the fog of his lost memories only lifted a little once he set his eyes on his new task. Finding himself by the back of an old cemetery, he decided this would be his best option, he would be most comfortable, and she would be strongest.

Finding a nearby unmarked grave, where time and the weather had bitten away at stone so much the plot of land was sparse, overlooked by a winding old tree that was gnarled and twisted, he sat underneath it, and closed his eyes.

"Whatever monster you're sending, let them know I'll be right here." He took off his rings and looked them over, the golden band marked with symbols he barely ever noticed and placed them in front of him.

He closed his eyes and focused, his magic was gone, his connection to the darkness severed, but there was nothing stopping him from communing with the dead the old fashioned way, and that was precisely his goal.

He didn't have a sacrifice for her, but his mind fell back, to the burning taste in his mouth, the smell of smoke brought on by ambrosia and nectar, like the flames of an offering brazier, and this seemed to be enough, because he made contact eventually.