Discovering the Traumas of Bath Time

Annabeth's POV

She was reluctant to fall asleep, even after a long day like this one, even after hours of searching, after exhausting all of their known locations, and coming up empty, normally she'd be so tired that sleep would hit her like a truck, not caring if she tried to stay awake or not.

But tonight, as her and Zoe settled down under a bridge to hide from the biting wind, in a tent that Zoe had constructed in under three seconds, she forced herself to stay awake, Annabeth didn't want to dream like that ever again, she didn't want to long for a dance she would never get.

Maybe it was her being stubborn, maybe it was her trying to cope, but whatever it was, by four o'clock in the morning, she was fighting a losing battle, her head beginning to nod, her eyelids feeling like they weighed tonnes, her eyes fluttering. She didn't dream necessarily. Thank the gods.

It wasn't that dream, instead it was flashes of something, she would have said it was an Iris message, if she wasn't aware Iris was locked away on Olympus, and she knew it was a dream, because her mother was on the other end. Calling out to her, but the message didn't have sound.

One the sound did come to her, all she heard was Athena yelling her name at her, "Annabeth!" "ANNABETH!" Then there was static, "It's..." The message began to fade, "I think he's-" then it was, "Oh, for... Hephaestus! Fix this silly-"

She heard a slamming noise, like someone hitting the side of a TV "Annabeth! Listen to-" However, just like most dreams when someone calls your name, all that meant was that as Annabeth woke up to the real world with someone calling her name.

This time it was Zoe speaking, calling her name "-Annabeth!" Her eyes fluttered open, and she saw Zoe a foot or so away, still in her sleeping bag, propped up like a caterpillar, Annabeth looked at her groggily. "What time is it?" She asked. Stretching and yawning.

Zoe said, "Breakfast time, I let you sleep in, you really should go to sleep earlier." Annabeth frowned at her, "Wow, you really do sound like an old lady." Zoe pouted at her, "And you really do sound like a grumpy teenager, now up with you."

Annabeth turned away from Zoe to look at her things, her knife, her laptop, among other things, it was always good to take inventory, but as she sorted through her things, she got an idea, one that would be the downfall of her plan, though she didn't know that at the time.

Zoe knew she hadn't slept well, she knew that what dream Annabeth did have must have been short, and whatever it was Chiron and her were hiding, Annabeth knew it had something to do with both Percy and (Y/N), after all, that is why she invited Zoe on this mission.

So just to probe a little for answers, and to make sure Zoe wanted to answer, Annabeth told a half truth, "I had a vision come to me last night. I think it was my mom." She heard Zoe rustling behind her, but the huntress only murmured in faux interest. So Annabeth dug deeper

"Do you think Athena was trying to tell me something?" "Perhaps." Zoe said tiredly, yawning as she poured hot water into a thermos. "And when I woke up, it occurred to me, what if Percy didn't vanish, what if he has been taken?"

Zoe flinched a little, then sighed, her hand shaking as she poured. Annabeth felt horrible. But she told herself this was for the best, it was her only shot at getting answers, she knew Chiron was afraid.

That meant, whatever was coming, whatever involved Percy and (Y/N) was bad, an enemy perhaps. "Do you know anyone like that? Maybe they would be a good lead." "To find the fates? I doubt it." Zoe said quickly.

"They are not involved with most conflicts-" "Yeah, I get that, but I was thinking, with Jason arriving, there has to be some threat. And after my dream, I thought to myself, that maybe Percy got himself into trouble with this enemy, and maybe he wanted us to-" Zoe turned to her and glared.