Teaching Manners to the Augur

Percy's POV

On the way out of camp, Hazel bought him an espresso drink and a cherry muffin from Bombilo the two-headed coffee merchant. (Y/N) followed after them, and ordered breakfast. Bombilo didn't seem to like it, but served it up regardless.

"She is so petty. I knew she would do something like this!" He said as he angrily attacked his food, "She's just mad that I'm more popular than her." He reasoned, before downing what was left of his drink.

"It's not my fault she's too high and mighty to compete in the war games, or to get her hands dirty, it's also not my fault that the only time she ever sees anyone in this camp is during musters and when they get in trouble."

"Maybe if she cared half as much about her image as she did about finding Jason, I wouldn't even be part of this stupid power struggle with Octavian, and if she demotes me, why not him too, she hates both of us."

"After all, she's only picking on me because I'm an outsider. I mean, that's just prejudice, and that's just...not cool..." He continued to rant as he cleared his plate and went up for seconds as Percy stared at him in confusion.

"He gets like this sometimes, don't worry about it, he'll tire himself out soon." Hazel joked as he was out of earshot. "What's his problem with Reyna, if anyone can get elected, why does it matter?" Percy asked, still lost regarding the rules and regulations of this place.

Hazel answered that in a hushed tone, trying to fill in the blanks for Percy over the course of their meal, not that there was much of a meal left. Percy inhaled the muffin. The coffee was great.

"Well, the Feast of Fortune is only a few days away, and he just lost his rank, that's a big deal around here, there's going to be a lot of speculation before it happens." "And why is that important?" Percy asked.

Hazel sighed, looking over at (Y/N) as he argued with Bombilo about getting more food, "Well, if you ask me, if Reyna hadn't have stripped him of his rank, he was well on his way to becoming Praetor."

"That's a big deal right, like that Jacob guy." "Jason, and yeah, it's a pretty big deal. Especially for an outsider." "So Reyna just tanked his chances?" Percy asked, feeling guilty that he had cost (Y/N) so much.

"Well, she certainly didn't help them, but I don't blame her, could you imagine if some outsider came to your home and declared themselves leader within weeks of getting there?" She asked, offended, "Aren't you guys Romans, that's sort of...your thing." Percy countered.

She frowned at him, "That was a long time ago Percy, now we have rules, and votes, but he just ignored all that...Look, I'm not Reyna's biggest fan sometimes, but I do trust her judgement, she has her reasons." "Well if there are so many rules, how'd he get this far anyway?"

"Frank said something about a portal?" Percy urged as he started to piece things together. She nodded. "When Reyna brought him here. It was through a portal. She made a gesture of it, ending his banishment, calling him here-"

"Why was he banished in the first place?" Percy asked, Hazel just frowned, "-Later. Anyway, he came through after a few seconds, landed on the fifth cohort's table," "What's so wrong about that?" "Nothing, in itself, but eye witnesses say they heard people or saw people on the other end."

Percy was still lost, "What's so wrong with that?" He said again, hoping Roman Culture wasn't as sensitive as she made it sound. "Well, the way Octavian spins it, It means he's an outsider. Camp Jupiter doesn't do well with outsiders. "Wonderful" Percy grumbled.

She sighed and began to explain. "Like I said, we have rules...anyway, long story short, he was claimed by my cohort, he had already been here in the past, had a tattoo and everything. We all thought that would be the end of it, but there was a bit of a power vacuum after Jason went missing."