Avoiding the Horrors of Frostbite

Annabeth's POV

"You probably should have listened to that message from your mom." A voice said in Annabeth's head as her eyes fluttered closed, she was so tired that the moment Zoe had hot wired a car and Annsabeth sat shotgun, she felt herself dozing off.

The cool window reminded her of a moment from her past, on their way to Westover Hall, it was where she met (Y/N) again, it was the day she now saw as one of her biggest regrets, she regretted missing what could have been her first dance with him.

But even as she drifted into slumber, the same fear she had felt the last time she dreamt overtook her, she didn't want to feel like she was having their first and last dance over again. "No dancing, I can do that." He mused.

She felt her body tense up the moment she heard it, her mind echoing that this was a dream to remind herself not to feel so attached to the voice, it was only in her head, it wasn't real. She forced her eyes closed.

But it didn't work, she just found herself in the same place, another moment she wanted to stay in forever, another sick nightmare that should have been a pleasant dream, another wave of longing hit her.

This time, the surrounding area was hazy, like it didn't matter, she turned away from the scene, she didn't want to relive it, but once he spun her around to face him, she forgot those thoughts in an instant.

All that ran through her head was that reminder. "You aren't real. This is all in my head." He shrugged, reading her thoughts, he shrugged, "Maybe, but you're pretty smart, and if I'm in your head, I'm probably pretty smart too, so yeah, I might not be real, but I'm right."

"You really should have listened to your mom." Suddenly, she heard the clanking of a plate in front of her, a waiter that she couldn't see delivered their food. She subconsciously glanced around, looking for an exit. But that was a mistake.

The more she looked around, the more of this place became familiar, a familiar smell fell into her nose, familiar heartstrings that her dreams were pulling at. It was one of those typical New York diners, bagels on the counter, bored looking waitress taking orders and giving refills of coffee.

Exactly the way she remembered it, that day she treated him to breakfast before they rescued Percy from gym class. It was the first time she ever really thought about the fact it was just the two of them alone.

"To paraphrase a book I once read, of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" He winked at her, "I'm here, you're here, lets have fun. You overthink everything Annabeth."

He smirked, looking down at his food and smiling. "Ohhh, this looks good!" Digging into his food without another word. He was older than he would have been back then, he was the same age as he was when he died.

She lingered on that thought for a second too long, and her voice caught in her throat as she tried to ask him why she was having these dreams, but the pain was too much, another quote she recognised tumbled out his mouth.

"Love is giving someone the means to destroy you and trusting them not to" He said vaguely, smiling at her between mouthfuls, she wasn't sure if he was enjoying her company or the food more.

"But you did destroy me!" She snapped, slamming her hands on the table, she didn't like being taunted by her own head. He smirked again, finishing his food, "Dramatic much?" He rolled his eyes as he wiped his face with a napkin.

"Well, you are an architect, you of all people should know how to rebuild stuff." He said plainly, Even in her dream, she was infuriated. "That's all you have to say!" He sighed, "Annabeth, I'm in your head."