Playing With Too Much Fire

(Y/N)'s POV

Jason's nose had seen much better days, as the ship tilted and they were all knocked off balance, (Y/N)'s fist clenched from reflex and the urge to hold onto something, meaning it hit the son of Jupiter's nose with a dull 'thump.'

"Sorry!" He said as Jason woozily glared at him through half lidded eyes and a freshly bloodied nose, "What the hell was that, did we hit a reef or something?" "No reef nearby." Percy said, suddenly awake and half alert. Still looking as though the world were yellow.

He toppled out of the bed, but he was conscious enough to complain about the landing. "Ouch." He muttered as Zoe scooped him up from the floor. "Then what was it?" Frank asked with concern. "Where's Hazel?" 

"And Leo." Piper said, "Yeah, him too" Frank mumbled, "Are they still up there?" Annabeth walked up to the intercom system, "Leo? Gleeson? Any report on what that was?" There was no response.

They all waited for a few seconds as the silence became more tense before turning to their leader, waiting for instruction, "Let's go." Annabeth said, a simple call to arms that got everyone, save for the still badly injured Jason, to kick into action.

As Piper helped Jason off the bed, (Y/N) straightened the boy's nose, placed a hand on his shoulder, and healed the damage done with a quick, "Sorry." Before taking off. Remembering his weapons were in his room.

"Are we being boarded? Please tell me we're being boarded, I've always wanted to be-" "(Y/N), not now." Annabeth chided as he bit back his excitement, secretly giddy at the idea that he might get to trade quips while swashbuckling with other pirates.

It was at that moment, he realised that by the time (Y/N) had even left the room, Annabeth's knife was drawn and she was already holding his weapons for him. Even weirder, Zoe had somehow fully equipped herself with leather armor and her bow and returned. 

"How did you do that so fast?" He asked as they rushed up the stairs together, Frank, Percy and Piper trailing behind. "Years of practice." Both Annabeth and Zoe said. He was dumbfounded but Annabeth relinquished his weapons to him as Zoe raced up the stairs. 

She paused at the top as if to take in their enemy and then fired two arrows in quick sequence. As (Y/N) made his way to the top and saw what they were facing, his dreams of a swordfight balancing on the mast were dashed.

While that was initially disappointing, he quickly got over it as he saw his enemy come into full view. "Oh, this is so much better!" He shouted happily as he drew his sword and raced forward with glee. 

In essence, this was exactly what he wanted, something he could finally let loose on, that wasn't one of his friends or an innocent girl who was really good at impressions, or even romans he couldn't go all out on.

The cyclops at the store helped, but even then that just felt like an every day thing, he had become so used to fighting them that they were not really what he was looking for right now.

After he lost to the two giants, (Y/N) had admittedly felt frustrated with everything he had faced since, there was always some cavoite, some blockade in his path that stopped him enjoying a fight.

Should he have enjoyed any fight, not really, but over the years, fighting and killing monsters was the only constant for him, the only real thing that calmed him down when he felt like this.

Beating a creature that heroes decades ago would have struggled with, and had to write epics about, it made him feel powerful, strong and competent, and right now, he really needed that. 

So when he saw their opponent, he was giddy, ecstatic at the thought of a challenge that most people, even most demigods would have been terrified of. Because he had to opportunity to finally cut loose.