Getting Punched off the Roof

Hazel's POV

Hazel felt like she'd just introduced two nuclear bombs. Now she was waiting to see which one exploded first. Until that morning, her brother Nico had been one of the most powerful demigods she knew.

The others at Camp Jupiter saw him as a traveling oddball, about as harmless as the fauns. Hazel knew better. She hadn't grown up with Nico, hadn't even known him very long. But she knew Nico was more dangerous than Reyna, or Octavian, or maybe even Jason.

In fact, Hazel thought the only person who could have ever held a candle to her brother was (Y/N). Both of them were anomalies in her life, two people who were too strong to be considered normal, even to a demigod like herself.

She had seen it, that same look in both their eyes, that only came out every so often, only when that power shone through enough to be noticeable, like the world was confirming their strength, she didn't think there were any more like them.

Then she'd met Percy. At first, when she saw him stumbling up the highway with the old lady in his arms, Hazel had thought he might be a god in disguise. Even though he was beat up, dirty, and stooped with exhaustion, he'd had an aura of power.

He had the good looks of a Roman god, with sea-green eyes and wind blown black hair. She'd ordered Frank not to fire on him. She thought the gods might be testing them. She'd heard myths like that: a kid with an old lady begs for shelter, and when the rude mortals refuse—boom, they get turned into banana slugs.

Then Percy had controlled the river and destroyed the gorgons. He'd turned a pen into a bronze sword. He'd stirred up the whole camp with talk about the graecus. She was sure she had seen that light in his eyes too.

A son of the sea god...Long ago, Hazel had been told that a descendant of Neptune would save her. But could Percy really take away her curse? It seemed too much to hope for. In the back of her mind, all she could imagine him looking at her like (Y/N) did.

The hidden anger, the small note of disgust that was lingering in his stare, it made her feel shameful whenever his eyes were on her, Hazel didn't know if she could stand anyone looking at her like that again.

Percy and Nico shook hands. They studied each other warily, and Hazel fought the urge to run. If these two busted out the magic swords, things could get ugly. Nico didn't appear scary. He was skinny and sloppy in his rumpled black clothes.

His hair, as always, looked like he'd just rolled out of bed. Hazel remembered when she'd met him. The first time she'd seen him draw that black sword of his, she'd almost laughed. The way he called it "Stygian iron," all serious-like—he'd looked ridiculous.

This scrawny white boy was no fighter. She certainly hadn't believed they were related. She had changed her mind about that quick enough. Percy scowled. "l know you." Nico raised his eyebrows. "Do you?" He looked at Hazel for explanation.

Hazel hesitated. Something about her brother's reaction wasn't right. He was trying hard to act casual, but when he had first seen Percy, Hazel had noticed his momentary look of panic. Nico already knew Percy. She was sure of it. Why was he pretending otherwise?

Hazel forced herself to speak. "Um...Percy's lost his memory." She told her brother what had happened since Percy had arrived at the gates. "So, Nico..." she continued carefully, "I thought...you know, you travel all over. Maybe you've met demigods like Percy before, or..."

Nico's expression turned as dark as Tartarus. Hazel didn't understand why, but she got the message: Drop it. "This story about Gaea's army," Nico said. "You warned Reyna?" Percy nodded. "Who is Gaea, anyway?"

Hazel's mouth went dry. Just hearing that name...It was all she could do to keep her knees from buckling. She remembered a woman's soft sleepy voice, a glowing cave, and feeling her lungs fill with black oil.