Cheating Heads or Tails

(Y/N)'s POV

"I don't remember New Orleans having this many alleys on maps." (Y/N) thought as he ducked into yet another, trying to avoid the wolves hunting him, not that he was complaining. To his surprise, he hadn't encountered another since the last, despite the howling.

If the wolves had been drawn to him, they must have been unable to locate him if he were lucky, if not, they were plotting to converge on him once he was at his weakest. He tried not to think of option two.

As he travelled through the dark alleys, heading towards the Cathedral, he wondered if the satyrs could help him determine what this magical bad luck rock of Hazels was doing to him, and how to remove it.

Speaking of luck, (Y/N) had finally determined who the pastry thief was, and why she held his life in the balance, long story short, she held everyone's in the balance in one way or another, she was a goddess he had always wanted to meet, either to thank her, or throttle her depended on his mood.

As he wandered around the city, (Y/N) kept testing his magic, finding himself able to use his flames, as well as a few other mist tricks, like moving it around or making it solid, actually it was easier to do here than anywhere else, since it was so dense.

However, when he tried to use his shadow, or his eyes, be that shadow travel or manipulation, the results varied to put it lightly. From crippling pain to just not working, those powers seemed to malfunction whenever he used them.

He walked for what must have been miles, the sun had set by now, and the nightlife of the city was as active as ever, with music, partying and such around almost every corner, which would have been awesome, if it didn't put the mortals in...well, mortal danger.

Or did it? Could mortals still die? Or were there a bunch of them walking around not dying? He felt like that would have been bigger news if that were the case, they surely would have noticed by now, easy to figure it out after the first or second miraculous decapitation survival right?

The mist was strong, it was powerful, but (Y/N) was unsure whether Hecate could cover up something that big. Maybe she was having Hypnos put them to sleep and having them wake up thinking it was a dream?

That's what he would do to cover it up. Man, his dad being gone was a confusing time for (Y/N). He would have to ask how that worked the next time he spoke to his father, for future reference, in case he had a day off or something.

When he found what may have been an answer, he wished he hadn't. He finally made it to St. Louis Cathedral, (Y/N) expected welcome, he searched for a nearby park or flower garden. What he found was a scene of devastation.

His stomach churned when he smelt something in the air that he hadn't in months, the smell of death. He found it a few seconds later, onlookers were horrified, what was once a collection of multicolored tents that looked like a mini festival had become a gruesome reminder of what (Y/N) was facing.

The camp had been torn through by wolves, the contents of each were scattered on the ground and destroyed, all the fabric that held the homes together had been shredded by what must have been teeth.

Worst of all was the distinct smell of blood in the air. (Y/N) looked at the ground and was horrified at the smears of blood that crossed the floor. He grit his teeth in anger, and closed his eyes, ignoring the pain that made him feel like his eyelids were about to burn off, but only because he was truly that angry.

Try as he might. He couldn't find any souls remaining inside. He didn't know how, but these Satyrs were dead. Maybe his father had finally lost his power, Circe finally had the control she needed and refused to revive them, maybe it worked differently for satyrs, but it didn't matter.