a simple complication, miscommunication

in which you celebrate your one year with chris.

i stole some of this plot from my other oneshot book that i made 🤭

also title is stolen from "the story of us" so GO STREAM SPEAK NOW TAYLORS VERSION
___

you and chris were dating for 11 months and 364 days. chris was out for a merch meeting for fresh love, so you figured it was a perfect opportunity to recruit nick to help pick out an anniversary gift. normally you'd ask maddie, your best friend, but she said she was out at lunch with her parents.

you pulled up in the sturniolos driveway and honk the horn, letting nick know that you're here. he comes out and hops in the front seat.

"hi." he says, plugging in his phone to the aux.

"hey. do you have any ideas? because i have none." you complain, starting on the route to the mall.

"there's a photo printer there, maybe you could make a collage of your favorite memories? i know he likes those kind of sentimental things." nick suggests, putting on the playlist that you guys both put your favorite songs on.

"i have an empty photo album at home. i could print a bunch of pictures and put them in there?" you say, and nick smiles and nods.

"that's an amazing idea. i bet chris is going to get you some stupid shit." he says, making you both laugh.

"he doesn't have to get me anything. just bring with him for a whole year is the best thing i could get." you admit, making nick fake gag.

-
as the drive to the mall was filled with your favorite music and jokes with nick, you were almost sad when you pulled into the lot. you both got out nonetheless and started on your way into the mall.

you both walk in and find the photo printing stand. you plug in your phone to the machine and start selecting all the pictures you want.

"is 40 pictures too many?" you chuckle, looking at all the pictures you can't choose between.

"maybe. but i think you should do it anyways. chris loves this kind of stuff." nick says and you nod.

after all the pictures print, you pay the guy working and start walking around the mall.

"i don't want to go home yet. can we shop a little?" nick asks, and you nod excitedly.

"you're asking me to go shopping? of course we can, i shop in my sleep." you laugh as you guys start walking around the mall.

after 40 minutes or so of walking in and out of shops, you guys decide to stop at the food court. you order food and set down all your bags at a table when you start eating.

you look straight ahead and see chris walking with some bags in his hand and a chick fil a drink in the other.

"nick, is that chris?" you ask, taking a bite of your lunch.

he looks a little closer before nodding. "yeah, sure is. he's with a girl too." nick says, growing angry.

"what?" you exclaim, throwing your garbage away and standing up.

"maddie?!" you yell (maybe a little louder than you should have.) she has a chick fil a bag in one hand and nothing in the other.

she looks over and you can see the color drain from her and chris' face.

"y/n, it's not what it looks like. i put that on our friendship." she says, her and chris quickly walking over.

"no, this isn't happening." you chuckle dryly, turning to look at nick. "are you seeing this?"