pretty isnt pretty

"when pretty isn't pretty enough, what do you do? and everybody's keeping it up so you think it's you" -olivia rodrigo, pretty isnt pretty

in which you're insecure (me bc hoco)

you guys are still in highschool!

I FUCKING LOVE GUTS

tw//mentions of body image issues! please don't read if this will trigger you, i have ideas i'm working on that'll hopefully come out soon!
___

you got in the drivers seat of the car, smiling as chris got in the passenger seat. "chris, you didn't have to pay for lunch. you're already forcing me to let you buy my prom dress, you're not doing both."

"yes i am. let me spoil you, hon. now, let's go to the mall so i can see my beautiful girl in some dresses!" he sing-songs, rubbing his hands together comedically.

prom was coming up in two weeks, and you were yet to get a dress. it was a saturday today, and chris decided to make a day of shopping for you. he knew that you liked shopping with someone so you could get a second opinion, and he was more than willing to be that someone. he already had his suit picked out, just plain black with a white undershirt. he was waiting to see what color dress you wanted, so he could get a coordinating tie.

you both lived close to a mall, so you decided to start there. as you parked the car in the mall parking lot, you walked into macys filled with hope.

"here, how about this one!" chris exclaims, holding up a floor-length emerald green dress with a deep v neck and glittery patterns on the skirt.

"that's cute! how much is it?"

"y/n, don't worry about the price. if i couldn't afford to spoil you, then i wouldnt. if you like it, go try it on!" he says, handing you the dress.

you sigh in defeat and kiss his cheek. "thank you. i'm gonna grab a few so i have options."

"sounds good, beautiful."

"chris, what do you think of this one?" you ask, holding up a light purple dress with ties in the back and a slit up the left leg.

"try that one on right the fuck now."

you laugh and put it in your other arm where you're holding the dresses you liked, and continue browsing.

with you and chris working together, you ended up with seven dresses that you were going to go try on. chris sat on the bench in front of your dressing room, waiting for you to come out and show him.

you try on a light blue one first. it was shorter than the others, and it had one strap on the right side. when you put it on, you hated it. the single strap made your exposed arm look huge, the dress being on the shorter side make your legs look stubby, and the color washed you out.

"well? let me see!" chris calls from the other side of the door. you reluctantly open it, walking out and giving him a little spin.

"i love it!"

"i hate it."

you both say at the same time, each giving the other a confused look. "this is hideous."

chris frowns. "i think you look beautiful, honey. but as long as you feel confident, i want you to get it. try on the next one if you don't like this one."

you turn on your heels and close the door behind you. you shimmy out of the dress and hang it back up, trying on the first floor length green one you found. you liked the color, but you thought the v neck made your chest look small. you frown in the mirror and zip up the back. you shake off your thoughts and put on a smile, opening the door and twirling for chris.